It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Battlestar Soundrack in High Resolution release
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:41 am 

Hello Bear,
I would like to know if you plan to release, the complete Battlestar Soundtrack in High Res : 24 bits 192.0 kHz.
In FLAC HD for example.
I'd love to ear your work in High definition :)

thank you for your incredible work

Post subject: Re: Battlestar Soundrack in High Resolution release
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:05 pm 

Any news regarding a release ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:39 am 

I managed to meet Bear at the 2013 ComiCon at the "Defiance" panel (well, corner, actually, as I'm afraid I may have towered over him. Sorry, Bear.) and asked that same question. He said it was being worked on, but I suspect that because he's busy on so many other projects this one may be on the back burner.

But yeah, I'd be all over 24/192 if it was ever released, especially Season 3 (my favorite).

Of course, what would be better would be to release it in the form of the original master, that way there'd be no conversion errors whatsoever, as the DAC I use can handle just about anything from DSD to 192/24 PCM.

Any more supporters out there for high res?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:29 pm 

Bear, getting back to high resolution audiophile tracks for a minute. I know it's a pain-in-the-posterior to convert from the master to lower or higher resolutions and it costs money to do so. In the time since I asked for the high resolution I bought a D-to-A converter that can take any PCM format from 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz, 16 bit or 24 bit. Heck, it can even take DSD.

So here's a suggestion for you to consider: To save money in reformatting, would it be possible to let us buy copies of the BSG master tapes, in whatever format they were recorded in, be it PCM, DSD, 16 bit or 24 bit? That way you don't have to spend money reformatting, you can release it right away, and we audiophiles can get better sounding tracks than the CD's. A price point of $25 to $30 per album would be ideal, but try not to go higher than $40 to $45 or you'll start crimping sales. You don't have to worry about converting to any other sample rates, just use the rates directly from the master.

This, of course, is predicated on the master recordings being done at higher resolutions than 44.1 KHz/16 bit (CD quality). If they were done at this format then the CD's are as good as we're going to get.

And yes, I'd buy all BSG albums at that price point if they were direct copies of the masters.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:16 pm 

BSG Audiophile wrote:

And yes, I'd buy all BSG albums at that price point if they were direct copies of the masters.

Thanks!

ME TOO !!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:36 pm 

High resolution is getting more popular, so hopefully the copy of the master can happen someday. I'd be all over it if it did happen.

But I should wait until you recover from ComicCon before I mention it again. My wife and I were selling her comic for the first time this year in Artist's Alley so we were very busy and unable to come to any panels (except the one I moderated, of course) Hope you, Bear, and all the other attendees had a good time!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:50 pm 

rms8 wrote:
BSG Audiophile wrote:

Thanks!

ME TOO !!!!!

While we wait for Bear and/or LaLaLand to reply, may I suggest you get one of these:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/directstream-dac/

This DAC doesn't use a DAC chip, rather, it uses a programmable FPGA that allows the designer, Ted Smith, to tweak the performance and lower noise floor. This increases perceived separation between instruments. It's freakin' awesome. The most recent FPGA update, called "Yale Final," is awesome playing "Storming New Caprica" from the Season 3 album. One producer claimed he could hear no difference between his CD and the DSD master when using the DirectStream with Yale Final.

Of course, you'll need a good set of speakers, interconnects, speaker cables, and amplifier, and if you want to go whole-hog get the $150,000 system like this system centered around the Infinity IRS V speaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPazywXrqJo

I've heard BSG Season 3 on this stereo, and it was freakin' AWESOME! And that was a year ago before the final versions of the DS and the new amplifier were released, so I'm sure they're even better now.

And of course, if we're ever lucky enough to get the copies of the masters, this DirectStream DAC will play them just fine. I can hardly wait. In the meantime, enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:57 am 

Hello
any update regarding battlestar galactica release in 24 bits ?

regards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:52 am 

Still waiting for this too !!! :D

I am actually more interested in all the Unreleased music Bear said he wanted to make available. To a lesser degree, I was also looking forward to the DVD/Blray release of the Orchestra events.

So much good stuff he has, but by and far I am soooo looking forward to the stuff we haven't heard (aside from the individual episodes) yet.

**** EAGERLY WAITING ****

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:06 am 

Bear McCreary wrote:
.....I have always hoped to release more music from BSG. There is so much of it. A number of factors have prevented that from happening, not the least of which is my intense writing schedule these days. It's very hard to set aside time to plan an album of older music when I'm so busy working on new material. But, absolutely rest assured, I fully intend to do it at some point. It might take a few more years for all the factors to line up, but its a high priority for me.

Keep on listening! :)

Hi BM ! ;)

Is there ANY CHANCE at all that we might have a taste of the Unreleased Music from BSG before 2016 shines out? I've been waiting so long for this material as I'm sure many others have been too.

My biggest fear besides it never happening is that the longer it takes, the fewer people will be interested. Your BSG scores are absolutely stunning and to have "new" material from the same world would be like having Christmas everyday for a month!!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks Bear!
Rob

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next