It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Soothing music through times of dark and laughing rain
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:42 am 

I love Battlestar Galactica - the original series was my favorite program when I was a kid and the reimagined series is the best television program I have ever seen. I have often wished that I could watch it for the first time again.

I bought all your Battlestar Galactica Soundtrack CDs off the press (and all of the show's DVDs also off the press). I have an Ipod Nano that I listen to when jogging and working outside and other times and almost always listen to the playlist of Battlestar Galactica songs - yours and the soundtrack to the original series.

Your music is exceptionally soothing especially now because I am going through a divorce. We have been married for 14 years. She is the one leaving me. We have young 3 children. I still love her and did not and do not want this divorce. Somehow, Gaeta's Lament is extremely moving and soothing. It sometimes almost brings me to tears. As is the music that Starbuck uses for the coordinates to Earth.

I recently discussed with someone my guess on the meaning of the lyrics and am curious how others have interpreted them.

"Actually, I don't understand the meaning of the lyrics very well either but:
He was thinking of his previous girlfriend. I think the following is the type of meaning to the lyrics. She previously left him and he missed her. He has three good wishes for her.
#1 is "The first that she be spared the pain that comes from a dark and laughing rain." I imagine that the meaning is that she not be in or experience the pain of a dark and very tough environment or situation (That she not be in that bad situation itself, that she not have the experience). That is what I imagine [of the meaning].
#2 is "When she finds love may it always stay true; this I beg for the second wish I made too." My guess of the meaning is that when she finds love (someone she loves (with a new person other than him), that he wishes that her love and the loving relationship continue long-term.
#3 is "But wish no more, my life you can take, to have her please just one day wake, to have her please just one day wake." I think that #3 is not a good wish for her but instead a hope for himself. I think the meaning is he would like to be with her just one more day and for that he is willing to pay with his life. For example, a request to god.
The first sentence in the lyrics is "Alone she sleeps in the shirt of man, with my three wishes clutched in her hand." I don't well understand the meaning of "Alone she sleeps in the shirt of man" but guess that in his head or, in another manner of speaking, in his imagination, she is at this time single (without a lover); but for some reason is wearing his shirt and holding his good wishes (things he is hoping for).
From the time that my divorce started, I really developed a strong liking for this song. I am not sure but when I also made you sad, this song rose again in my head. There is no special concrete meaning in this though."

Anyway, thank you for your excellent music. At least for the last good amount of time and for the forseeable future, your Battlestar music will remain my favorite and is I think positively helping me deal with my going through a period of dark and laughing rain.

Post subject: Re: Soothing music through times of dark and laughing rain
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:16 pm 

Dear BSGCIC:

I cannot tell you how many times Bear's music, especially the Battlestar Gallactica albums, has brought me through trying times. There is magic in the subtext if one really listens. Hang in there and don't forget to listen to the other music he writes (try Outlander!). I think you might like the piano version of Battlestar songs by Joohyun Park. ( link: http://www.amazon.com/Music-BATTLESTAR- ... B005TTQI0S) Put it this way, I can't drive while listening to it.

Take care-
Sue

bsgcic wrote:
I love Battlestar Galactica - the original series was my favorite program when I was a kid and the reimagined series is the best television program I have ever seen. I have often wished that I could watch it for the first time again.

I bought all your Battlestar Galactica Soundtrack CDs off the press (and all of the show's DVDs also off the press). I have an Ipod Nano that I listen to when jogging and working outside and other times and almost always listen to the playlist of Battlestar Galactica songs - yours and the soundtrack to the original series.

Your music is exceptionally soothing especially now because I am going through a divorce. We have been married for 14 years. She is the one leaving me. We have young 3 children. I still love her and did not and do not want this divorce. Somehow, Gaeta's Lament is extremely moving and soothing. It sometimes almost brings me to tears. As is the music that Starbuck uses for the coordinates to Earth.

I recently discussed with someone my guess on the meaning of the lyrics and am curious how others have interpreted them.

"Actually, I don't understand the meaning of the lyrics very well either but:
He was thinking of his previous girlfriend. I think the following is the type of meaning to the lyrics. She previously left him and he missed her. He has three good wishes for her.
#1 is "The first that she be spared the pain that comes from a dark and laughing rain." I imagine that the meaning is that she not be in or experience the pain of a dark and very tough environment or situation (That she not be in that bad situation itself, that she not have the experience). That is what I imagine [of the meaning].
#2 is "When she finds love may it always stay true; this I beg for the second wish I made too." My guess of the meaning is that when she finds love (someone she loves (with a new person other than him), that he wishes that her love and the loving relationship continue long-term.
#3 is "But wish no more, my life you can take, to have her please just one day wake, to have her please just one day wake." I think that #3 is not a good wish for her but instead a hope for himself. I think the meaning is he would like to be with her just one more day and for that he is willing to pay with his life. For example, a request to god.
The first sentence in the lyrics is "Alone she sleeps in the shirt of man, with my three wishes clutched in her hand." I don't well understand the meaning of "Alone she sleeps in the shirt of man" but guess that in his head or, in another manner of speaking, in his imagination, she is at this time single (without a lover); but for some reason is wearing his shirt and holding his good wishes (things he is hoping for).
From the time that my divorce started, I really developed a strong liking for this song. I am not sure but when I also made you sad, this song rose again in my head. There is no special concrete meaning in this though."

Anyway, thank you for your excellent music. At least for the last good amount of time and for the forseeable future, your Battlestar music will remain my favorite and is I think positively helping me deal with my going through a period of dark and laughing rain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:58 pm 

Thank you Sue! I really appreciate that!
I am going listen to both his Outlander music and Joohyun Park's piano version.

Wishing you very well. And again, thanks!
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Dear bsgcic,

Thank you for sharing this deeply personal story with all of us. I am always moved when I hear how music I've written for a film or show can affect people. I am sorry to hear about your divorce, but I also know that you will both do right by your 3 children and do what's best for them.

As for the lyrics to "Gaeta's Lament," I was not involved with them. They were written by the episode's writer. So, your interpretation is just as valid as mine. I never really fully understood their exact meaning, but they are filled with lovely imagery, which is all I need to start imagining music.

Wishing you the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:00 am 

Dear Bear,

Thank you very much for your post and your very warm sentiments. That was very special to read and especially from you. Your music has been so touching and a special part of my life.

I should probably comment on why I had written my interpretation of the meaning of the lyrics in the way that I had. I actually had written the description in Japanese to someone who does not understand English at all. I translated my Japanese fairly literally for the above post to your site. Therefore, I was perhaps explaining more than would have been typical to another English language speaker.

Thank you again for your message. I really appreciate it.

Jeff

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]