It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Season 3 on a Audiophile Reference Stereo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:45 pm 

I've been doing some consulting work for an audio company in Boulder Colorado called PS Audio. They make great power conditioners, cables, DACs and other audio gear. Just recently the CEO of the company upgraded his primary reference soundroom to install a pair of Infinity IRS reference speakers (one of only 58 ever built back in the mid '80's) "Awesome" doesn't even begin to describe this system.

I paid a visit and brought BSG Season 3 and played track 2 "Precipice" and track 4 "Storming New Caprica" for him. He had never heard of BSG before, but halfway through track 4 he was nodding his head at every smack of the percussion in the battle sequence (I do that all the time) and afterwards he pointed to his selection of reference CDs and said "I've got nothing like this." So we went to his office and he ordered the Season 3 CD from Amazon right then and there. (Amazon one-click is sooo scary)

Congrats, Bear, you now have a convert!

Getting the albums released in high resolution will make our day. Thanks ever so much for the great music!

Post subject: Re: Season 3 on a Audiophile Reference Stereo
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

Nice! I bet these tracks sounded great through those speakers. :)

Post subject: Re: Season 3 on a Audiophile Reference Stereo
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:40 am 

Bear McCreary wrote:
Nice! I bet these tracks sounded great through those speakers. :)

Oh, wow, Bear actually replied. Serves me right for not checking in for a year.

Yes, it was an awesome track on an awesome system. One that's getting better, as the new amplifier prototype is being tested right now.

I wanted to ask you, though, on "Storming New Caprica," what was the percussion used that (I think) sounds like a sheaf of many thin metal rods being smacked against metal (or something hard) to make that characteristic 'thwack' that I can't get enough of? I use that as a reference point for determining the sonic characteristics of any new component in my stereo, and I'd love to know what it was I was actually listening to . . .

Anyway, keep up the good work. I hope the next time we meet it will be in better circumstances when I'm not looming over you at the back of a ComicCon meeting room asking about BSG 192/24 files. (I was just happy to meet you, that's all.)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]