It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:37 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: The Motion Picture complete score
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

Well, all those other scores are nice, yes... but ILIA'S THEME smokes them all. That, combined with the main theme and the Huxley Beam... there are just so many things that make TMP one of the best scores ever written. Other Star Trek scores come close, but none surpass it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:13 pm 

I just got it a while ago, and found its quality to shock even myself for a film from '79, its a great listen and every chance I get to do so is a real treat. The finest star trek score IMO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:29 am 

The alternate Ilea's theme sung by David Cassidy is both hilarious and atrocious. Thank god that was never put in the film!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:17 am 
Site Admin

My personal favorite bastardization of a classic SciFi theme is the disco version of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." I had it on my cassette tape of the soundtrack and somehow, when they put it out on CD, they opted out of including it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:50 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:
My personal favorite bastardization of a classic SciFi theme is the disco version of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." I had it on my cassette tape of the soundtrack and somehow, when they put it out on CD, they opted out of including it. :)

Ha! I remember that one as well as the disco version of the main Star Wars theme. I had both on those small vinyl records. I believe they were 45's?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:26 am 
Global moderator

Bear McCreary wrote:

Is it sad I was super excited that they left off the stupid disco arrangement of James Horner's Search for Spock theme when they did the expanded soundtrack recently? I've always hated it and went so far as to skip that one when I ripped the original CD to my computer years ago.

I find the cheesy smooth jazz elevator music arrangement of "That Old Black Magic" source music from the Dr. McCoy bar scene where he tries to book passage to the Genesis planet much more enjoyable lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:19 am 

I made sure I kept that Search for Spock disco piece when I added the new release to my iTunes library^^
And I'm loving the new 3 Disc set as well. Isn't it fascinating to listen to the earlier Enterprise piece, hearing just the fragments of that great theme. And all the Voyager music.. just amazing. The score's diversity reminds me of Williams' Superman with its Krypton, Smallville, the love theme, Lex Luthor, and the heroics music.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2