It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:39 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Defiance
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:54 pm 
Global moderator

Syfy has announced that their upcoming gaming/TV series hybrid Defiance is set to air in 2013. Music: Guess who :)

April 25, 2012
SYFY’S HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED DEFIANCE TM COMMENCES PRODUCTION IN TORONTO
Visionary Production Team Assembles for Groundbreaking Venture Set to Launch in Spring 2013

NEW YORK – April 25, 2012 – DefianceTM, the revolutionary transmedia event launching in Spring 2013, has commenced production on the series pilot in Toronto, ON. An unprecedented partnership between Syfy and Trion Worlds, Defiance is the first-ever convergence of television and Massive Multiplayer Online gaming, featuring an interconnected world and storylines that will co-exist on both platforms.

Defiance stars Grant Bowler (Nolan), Julie Benz (Amanda Rosewater), Stephanie Leonidas (Irisa), Tony Curran (Datak Tarr), Jaime Murray (Stahma Tarr), Graham Greene (Rafe McCawley), Mia Kirshner (Kenya) and Fionnula Flanagan (Nicky).

The cast also features Jesse Rath as Alak Tarr, Justin Rains as Quentin McCawley, Nicole Munoz as Christie McCawley, Dewshane Williams as Tommy and Peter MacNeill as Clancy.

The pilot is directed by Scott Stewart (Legion, Priest) and written/executive produced by Rockne O’Bannon (Farscape), Kevin Murphy (Desperate Housewives, Caprica; Hellcats) & Michael Taylor (Battlestar Galactica). Kevin Murphy serves as showrunner. Defiance is produced by Universal Cable Productions.

Other mavens rounding out the first-rate production team and lending their creative prowess to the ambitious project are visual effects supervisor Gary Hutzel (Battlestar Galactica, Caprica), alien language and culture consultant David J. Peterson (Game of Thrones), music supervisor Bear McCreary (The Walking Dead, Battlestar Galactica), writers David Weddle and Bradley Thompson (Falling Skies, Battlestar Galactica) and three-time Oscar-winning costume supervisor Colleen Atwood (Alice in Wonderland, Chicago, Memoirs of a Geisha, Edward Scissorhands).

Defiance is a visionary enterprise in collaboration with Trion Worlds, with the Syfy series and Trion’s multi-platform shooter MMO poised to debut simultaneously. Set in the near future, Defiance introduces a completely transformed planet Earth, inhabited by the human and alien survivors of a universal war. Forced to co-habitate, the disparate group struggles to build a new society among the devastation. The dramatic tapestry of the series and the intense action of the game will exist in a single universe where their respective narratives will inform one another and evolve together into one overall story.

About Syfy
Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (http://www.Syfy.com ), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in more than 98 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBCUniversal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. (Syfy. Imagine greater.)

About Universal Cable Productions
Universal Cable Productions creates innovative and critically acclaimed original scripted and digital content across multiple media platforms and outlets for domestic and international distribution. UCP produces “Covert Affairs,” “Fairly Legal,” “In Plain Sight,” “Psych,” “Royal Pains” and “Suits” for USA; “Alphas,” “Defiance,” “Eureka” and “Warehouse 13” for Syfy; and “I Just Want My Pants Back” for MTV. Universal Cable Productions is a division of NBCUniversal.

About Trion Worlds
Trion Worlds is the leading publisher and developer of premium games for the connected era. Powered by a breakthrough development and publishing platform, Trion is revolutionizing the way games are developed, played and sold. Trion’s world-class team delivers high-quality, dynamic and massively social games operated as live services across the biggest game genres and devices; including the critically acclaimed blockbuster, Rift™ and the highly-anticipated End of Nations™ and Defiance™. Trion is headquartered in Redwood City, Calif., with offices in San Diego, Calif., Austin, Texas, and at Trion Worlds Europe in London, UK.

http://scifimafia.com/2012/04/syfys-def ... -to-score/

Post subject: Re: Defiance
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:38 pm 

Amazing production team !

I don't totally understand the concept but sounds very very cool.

Should the game influence the movie or something like that ?

Thank you for the info Lex !

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:44 am 
Global moderator

Hmm, not too sure what to expect, but I'm sure the music will ROCK...
Can you tell us something more about this, Bear?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

Skating_Lientje wrote:
Hmm, not too sure what to expect, but I'm sure the music will ROCK...
Can you tell us something more about this, Bear?

I can tell you that, yes, indeed, the music will ROCK. It's one of the most exciting scores I've done in a long time. I've already written the Main Title Theme and am developing more thematic material already.

The producers are doing some very ambitious things, including with the use of music in the series. You guys will be surprised. Or maybe you'll be expecting it. Either way, I think you'll enjoy it.

I'm scoring both the series and the game. So, there will be two different places to experience the story and you'll hear unique variations of the character themes in both.

It'll be a few months before I have anything else to say on the topic, but see what else you can learn online about this series. It's going to be a great one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:35 am 

The soundtrack for the game has been released:

Play Store - £7.49/$8.99
Amazon UK - £7.49
Amazon.com - $8.99
iTunes - £10.99/$11.99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:20 pm 

I live in the past. Yep, I’ve been trying to recreate the state of being I had on the three glorious nights in San Diego when the Battlestar Gallactica Orchestra played their hearts out. I didn’t know what I was in for that first night, but since the first note played I’ve been trying to “get it back”. It’s like trying to revive a relationship you know is over, but you…can’t…stop. So much so that, when I hear the music on my iPod or hear Raya and Brendan sing, I have an immediate state change in my body. I want that feeling back, it’s my music heroin!

So why am I telling you this story? Defiance.

Bear, as you know, there is not much music of yours that I don’t love to pieces. Most if not all of it has so many exciting elements, notes, sounds, experiences, etc. and since I am an emotional listener I get it viscerally. There is something unique about the Defiance soundtrack. I realize it is for the video game, but wow, you have tapped into some other realm. I mean I know you pluck your cues from the ether, but this is different. This is BAD ASSERY to the 10th power. This is…goose-bumpy. It takes me on a journey…once again music heroin-thanks for the hit.

I am extremely curious how the television show score will sound. Want…it…now.

As always, thank you
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:50 am 

Add it to the increasingly long list of shows that I will only have looked at because they were in Bear McCreary's blog.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:14 am 
Global moderator

After watching the pilot at FedCon, I'm not entirely sure what to think of Defiance. It's nice, but it didn't glue me to the seat (yet). I guess I need some more episodes to hopelessly fall in love with it. Julie Benz is in it, so chances are good I won't stop watching anytime soon. Also, Stephanie Leonidas is kinda hot :)

And of course I'm waiting for a physical CD with the show's score. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:53 am 
Global moderator

I really like the show after watching a couple of episodes. This is great entertainment. Not so big at the script front, but solid SciFi, nice characters and a great setting.

At the beginning of Episode 8, "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times", there was a song playing in the background. That was Brendan, right?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]