It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 7   [ 65 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off topic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:43 am 
Global moderator

Lex wrote:
For the next 10 days, I have live music every evening. In my apartment!

Every year, my hometown organizes the "Stringtime", an academy for bowed string instruments (violin, viola, cello and double bass). It's for young musicians, 12-16 years, from Germany, Poland and The Netherlands. We volunteered as guest family to accommodate one of the kids and got a 16 year old double bass player who practices every evening (busy little guy!). I've never seen a double bass in real live. This is a freaking BIG instrument :shock:

Sounds like fun. Can you get him to fall in love with McCreay music? Would be great to have that played live for ten nights straight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:54 am 
Global moderator

Not sure if he knows Bear's music. He doesn't watch TV and is "not so much into this Internet-thing". But maybe I show him some of Bear's music. What tracks have nice strings in it, maybe even double bass? I have a hard time identifying instruments.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 pm 
Global moderator

Strings? 'Prelude to War' springs to mind, or of course 'A promise to return' from BSG.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:36 pm 

Yeah, those were the first two tracks that came to my mind as well. :-)

"Wayward Soldier" also has some killer strings.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 am 
Global moderator

Just in case we have a zombie breakout:

Map of the dead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:21 am 
Global moderator

Lex wrote:
Just in case we have a zombie breakout:

Map of the dead

I consider this on topic in 'The Walking Dead' thread. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

Lex wrote:
Not sure if he knows Bear's music. He doesn't watch TV and is "not so much into this Internet-thing". But maybe I show him some of Bear's music. What tracks have nice strings in it, maybe even double bass? I have a hard time identifying instruments.

Can I chime in here? I'm biased, but still...

"A Promise to Return" is my favorite. It's only 4 players, but the sound is so rich and lush. It still stacks up against pieces with huge string sections. It was the last session I ever did with a dear friend of mine, violinist Ludvig Girdland, before he was struck by a drunk driver and fell into a coma. So, I still think of him when I hear it.

As for other great string sounds I've gotten, the best sounding group I might have ever had was on the score for STEP UP 3D. A+ orchestra in the same studio that John Williams recorded CLOSE ENCOUNTERS. Holy frak, it sounds amazing. Not my best score, of course, but a luscious sound.

For bigger orchestra pieces that have nice string passages, there's some really great stuff on Human Target and The Cape, but again I'm drawn to the smaller stuff. I had less than 20 players for the CAPRICA pilot, but I think "Lacey and Zoe" is simply one of the most beautiful things I've ever written. Great string lines in there.

-Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:02 am 
Global moderator

After those 10 days, I became quite a fan of string instruments. I watched 5 concerts those kids were in during this time, and they were simply amazing.

There are some really cool string music vids on Youtube, if anyone is interested. You guys should check out the channels of Lindsey Stirling (The Zelda vid is great!) or The Piano Guys (Star Wars Chello duel FTW!). Also, there's a great "Game of Thrones" violin cover.

Thanks for the list, Bear. That reminds me that I still haven't watched Step Up 3. But I'm working on it. I got a huge DVD/Bluray-collection (500-600 movies) with about 100 films I haven't seen. I started to watch them all in alphabetical order, but I'm still on "A" *sigh*. Could take a while to reach Step Up 1-3.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:59 am 

Bear McCreary wrote:
but I think "Lacey and Zoe" is simply one of the most beautiful things I've ever written. Great string lines in there.

-Bear

"Lacey and Zoe", "The Greystone Family" and "A Tauron Sacrifice" never fail to give me goosebumps.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

Lex wrote:
AThat reminds me that I still haven't watched Step Up 3. But I'm working on it. I got a huge DVD/Bluray-collection (500-600 movies) with about 100 films I haven't seen. I started to watch them all in alphabetical order, but I'm still on "A" *sigh*. Could take a while to reach Step Up 1-3.

Me too! My DVD shelf is starting to look like a STORE, because half the DVDs and BluRays are still in their plastic! :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 7   [ 65 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next