It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: World Sountrack Awards (October 22nd - Ghent (Belgium))
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:59 am 
Global moderator

What can I say, this is a must attend evening for every soundtrack lover.

The World Soundtrack Awards are the 'Oscars of film music' in a way. They are handed out each year, to the best composer of the year, the best score of the year, the best original song, the discovery of the year etc...

Every year there are special guests that will come and have their music performed by full orchestra. Always present is the discovery of last year, and then some other distiguished guests.
This year the line up is impressive (to say the least): Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, Elliot Goldenthal, Giorgo Moroder and elected discovery of 2010 Abel Korzeniowski will all perform pieces.

A lot of film music fans are gathering in Ghent next weekend (some of which already met in Ubeda last summer) and I can tell you that we have one ticket still up for sale (as one person had to cancel), so if somebody wants to join us, feel free to contact me.

More information can be found at the website
http://www.filmfestival.be/agenda2.cgi? ... 87&lang=en

Elin

PS: Bear, Elmer Bernstein won an Honorary Award in 1998, and in return he wrote the music that is used when the awards are presented. So every year the WSA play a lttle bit of Berstein music, and last year (at the 10th aniversary of the WSA) they played the theme of the Magnificent Seven to honor him once more...

Post subject: Re: World Sountrack Awards (October 22nd - Ghent (Belgium))
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Skating_Lientje wrote:
PS: Bear, Elmer Bernstein won an Honorary Award in 1998, and in return he wrote the music that is used when the awards are presented. So every year the WSA play a lttle bit of Berstein music, and last year (at the 10th aniversary of the WSA) they played the theme of the Magnificent Seven to honor him once more...

That's fantastic! I'd forgotten about that. I wish I could be there to hear it this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

That was this last weekend right? I'm curious how it went...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:55 pm 
Global moderator

Here's a press release with the winners:

Alexander Desplat third time in a row Film Composer of the Year

Source: Filmfestival

The World Soundtrack Academy announced tonight the winners of the World Soundtrack Awards 2011, the closing event of the 38th Ghent International Film Festival. Alexandre Desplat was chosen as Film Composer of the Year 2011. Hans Zimmer went home with the award for Best Orginal Film Score of the Year for Inception. Randy Newman received the World Soundtrack Award for Best Original Song Written for Film with We Belong Together from the film Toy Story 3. Alex Heffes received the Discovery of the Year Award for The First Grader & The Rite . The Public Choice Award went to A.R. Rahman for the film 127 hours. Giorgio Moroder received the World Soundtrack Lifetime Achievement Award.

Both the ceremony and the concert were attended by world famous composers such as Gabriel Yared (The Talented Mr. Ripley), Hans Zimmer (Inception), Elliot Goldenthal (Batman Forever), Giorgio Moroder (Scarface), Walter Murch (Apocalypse now), Alexandre Desplat (The King’s Speech), Alex Heffes (The First Grader & The Rite) and Abel Korzeniowski (Last Year’s Discovery of the Year with A Single Man) During and after the ceremony The Brussels Philharmonic performed music.

The winners:

Film Composer of the Year
Alexandre DESPLAT (A Better Life, The Burma Conspiracy, The King’s Speech, The Three of Life, The Well Digger’s Daughter, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows : Part 1, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows : Part 2)

Best Original Film Score of the Year 2010
INCEPTION by Hans Zimmer

Best original song written for Film
WE BELONG TOGETHER from TOY STORY 3
By Randy Newman

Discovery of the Year
Alex Heffes for THE FIRST GRADER & THE RITE

Public Choice Award
127 Hours by A.R Rahman

Sabam Award for Best Young European Composer
Gabriel Heinrich

Lifetime Achievement Award
Giorgio Moroder

Source

I have to agree with "Best Film Score". "Inception" was an amazing film with great music.

How come I've never been to Ghent? It's just 150 miles away from me. Maybe next year I'll visit F.A.C.T.S.. Is this convention related to the Soundtrack Awards in any way? It both was last weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:36 am 
Global moderator

First of all, Lex, what's keeping you from hopping over?

The World Soundtrack Awards really are a thing to witness. Not so much for the handing out of the prizes (although the tempo is quite high and not boring at all) but for the concert and performances...

First of all I should mention Abel Korzeniowski. His performance of pieces of 'A single Man' and the new Madonna move W.E. were breathtaking.

But this year's edition was an entirely stunning edition. This was partly due to the fact that it was dedicated to the memory of Ronni Chasen. Bear, you might know her. She was the press-agent of Hans Zimmer, Elliot Goldenthal and many other composers, and she was gunned down last year after leaving the premiere of 'Burlesque'.

All composers talked about her during the concert, all of them were emotionally touched when doing so, and all had created suites of their work to honor her. In that way, this edition was a very emotional one.

Elliot Goldenthal composed a suite which inclyded pieces from 'Titus' and 'Aliens 3', Howard Shore presented pieces from 'Return of the King', 'Looking for Richard' and 'Eastern Promises' and Hans Zimmer played pieces from the first and the last score Ronni ever heard him compose ('Driving miss Daisy' and 'Inception').

It was a wonderful evening and I'm hoping next year will yield another great selection of composers, and their work.

Elin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:02 pm 
Global moderator

This sounds amazing! I try to be there next year, if the date fits my schedule. Please keep us up to date for next year's awards.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:11 pm 
Global moderator

Lex wrote:
This sounds amazing! I try to be there next year, if the date fits my schedule. Please keep us up to date for next year's awards.

Will do, Lex.

And I forgot to answer your question: No the WSA have nothing to do with F.A.C.T.S. They are part of the Ghent Film Festival. I guess it was just coincidence these events took place in the same weekend.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]