It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:21 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 7   [ 65 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off topic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:02 pm 
Global moderator

So, random fact that I found out today which is Bear McCreary related-ish.... my fiancee (who I mentioned is in school in a PhD program) found out a few weeks ago that the tank scene in the pilot for Walking Dead was filmed right outside a classroom she has classes in every week haha. Oh the fun things you learn living in Atlanta...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Wow, that's awesome! Did your fiancee ever get to see the huge tank parked right outside? :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:47 am 
Global moderator

No, unfortunately they filmed it just before she started the program - she heard this from one of her classmates who is about a year or so ahead of her.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Oh well, that would have been fun!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:11 am 
Global moderator

Sorry I haven't been online as much as usual, but boy, have I been busy (and still am).
Part of my job (besides trying to finish my phD which I do in my spare time and is therefore not really to be considered as part of my job anymore) is monitoring and predicting gauge heights and discharges of the navigable waterways in Flanders (northern part of Belgium).

This week I was on call.

This week half of Flanders is flooding...

Seriously.

We have been measuring gauge heights and discharges that we haven't seen before.
So needless to say, I haven't slept much these last few days.

I have had one night where I was responsible for making forecasts (and communicating the results to water managers) at 11PM and 5AM, which meant working from 9PM to 1AM and from 3AM until 6.30AM (after my regular work day). Then I slept a few hours before going back to work and after hours making the forecasts of 5PM and 11 PM.

Phew. I'm in luck these kind of situations only happen once or twice a year.

Funilly enough, last time (December) I was the one on call as well.

Anyhow, this was my five minute break. Back to work... Chop, chop, chop...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 pm 
Global moderator

YIKES !!..hope everything works out ok for everyone. We had some pretty serious flooding in our area last year. 1 school bus driver even drove a bus of fully loaded kids through it. He caught hell for that too. It was even broadcasted on NBC news

camera from students in the bus : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI4syAGswgM

from a car on the other side : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ3JOlt8 ... re=related

guess some americans CAN do stupid shit, huh ?...that one sure did.

And this was only about 45 mins from me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:49 pm 

@Skating_Lientje > Wow! That seems like quite the job. Hopefully the flooding has gone down.

Off-Topic #1 (Kinda..) Random, but I guess this fits the topic... I work with Agero Roadside Assistance, which provides roadside for the majority of clients for the United States...and one thing that I would like to change about the job I am at would have to be to change the "On Hold" music that we have playing when the customer is well, on hold. The music is the usual basic cheap-sounding music that plays through a lot of telemarketing services and all that jazz.

I know that the music that plays urks me, and I am not the one listening to it..my customers are.. so I can imagine that they are already in a bad mood, and too hear cheap quality ear piercing music probably urks them more... So I recently thought about...well...what if it were to ever be replaced with music from say, Bear McCreary or Chris Tilton/ Giacchino? They have melodic music..and its beautiful work...wouldn't that be great? Melodic music can relax people :P!

Off-Topic #2 - I am working on a machinema (a show built by using a video game engine). I have come up with a name for a production name - and it is Phoenix Clan Productions. I find that the Phoenix symbol is seen throughout all of my work...and Clan represents the group/family which my team basically consists of.... is Phoenix Clan a stupid name? Does it sound bad? I need opinions !

Mal.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 am 
Global moderator

Mal027 wrote:
@Skating_Lientje > Wow! That seems like quite the job. Hopefully the flooding has gone down.Mal.

It has, and for the last two weeks we have had weather closely resembling Belgian summer, rather than spring.

Mal027 wrote:
Off-Topic #2 - I am working on a machinema (a show built by using a video game engine). I have come up with a name for a production name - and it is Phoenix Clan Productions. I find that the Phoenix symbol is seen throughout all of my work...and Clan represents the group/family which my team basically consists of.... is Phoenix Clan a stupid name? Does it sound bad? I need opinions !
Mal.

Well, I personally like the symbol of the phoenix. I even have some poetry on my wall which features a phoenix, so you get no bad comments about that from me.
The 'Clan' part I'm not sure about. Not sure how much 'Clan' is a loaded word (or 'Klan').
Also, clan in general gives a bit of a closed of group feeling to me, rather than a welcoming open group/family feel.
But maybe those are just my connotations...

Hope this helps you,

Elin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 am 
Global moderator

Hi Bear,

We are online together :mrgreen:

Elin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:09 am 
Global moderator

For the next 10 days, I have live music every evening. In my apartment!

Every year, my hometown organizes the "Stringtime", an academy for bowed string instruments (violin, viola, cello and double bass). It's for young musicians, 12-16 years, from Germany, Poland and The Netherlands. We volunteered as guest family to accommodate one of the kids and got a 16 year old double bass player who practices every evening (busy little guy!). I've never seen a double bass in real live. This is a freaking BIG instrument :shock:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 7   [ 65 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next