Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Your top 5 TV show soundtracks
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:16 am 

Top five.... Hrmmmm.....

New Battlestar Galactica
Firefly
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Doctor Who Series 5 and 6 (since there's so many of the same themes and motifs, I'm combining them)
The original Pokemon anime. So many of those songs are still iconic and instantly recalled in my head.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:56 pm 

1. Battlestar Galactica
2. Lexx
3. Farscape
4. Walking Dead
5. Big O - Anime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:55 am 

Barring the obvious (Battlestar, Caprica, Trauma, Eureka, TSCC, Human Target, The Walking Dead and The Cape), I'll go:

Fringe - Chris Tilton

Don't get me wrong, I like Michael Giacchino's scores and Chad Sieter's scores (especially for The Equation) but for me, the true voice of Fringe comes from Chris Tilton, who took over scoring towards the end of the first season. He started to take the basic sound of Fringe - medium sized string ensemble, brass, percussion, guitars and bass - and craft them into a more thematic score, even building his main theme on the music from the main titles. A few stand-out episodes, for me at least, include Brown Betty and that whole noir styled score which still included all the same musical features in terms of instrumentation and techniques as other Fringe episodes and used the same themes, but did them all in a really interesting way and There's More than One of Everything, with the WTC reveal.

Dollhouse - Mychael Danna

Like some of Joss' other shows, notably Buffy and Angel, Dollhouse uses a lot more pre-existing music for important scenes (See Sarah McLachlan, Michelle Branch and Lissie, just to name a few examples off the top of my head) but between those songs there was this remarkably understated score, and while a lot of the time the score was basically just servicing what's happening on-screen the real standout music for me is the music inside the Dollhouse, using chimes and tibetan singing bowls to create a beautifully peaceful and almost hypnotic ambient sound which had a surprisingly malleable theme in there which went on, not to represent the Dollhouse but our "main character" as it were, Echo.

Dead Like Me - Stewart Copeland

The thing I love about Copeland's score for Dead Like Me is that the score really helps to sell this fantastical, over-the-top world and it captures all of the fun, while still having enough emotional sensibility that it makes the more serious moments come to life. There's also a cute little theme in there that crops up from time to time, which is always a plus. But I like the fact, that like the show itself, the score really adapts to the kind of story that they're telling and so some episodes will have a more comedic score, others will have a more "serious" one and the style is so flexible that hearing all of these different kinds of music doesn't sound strange or out of place.

Pushing Daisies - Jim Dooley

Much like the score for Dead Like Me, I love that the score for Pushing Daisies is as fun and quirky as the show itself. The score for Pushing Daisies has a much more unified style, but the sound is just so wonderful and lush. I also love that it uses actual woodwind instruments. It seems that there are composers out there who forget that the entire woodwind section exists, but he uses flutes, oboes, clarinets and bassoons brilliantly and it really makes the show come to life. And the arrangements he does for the songs that Kristin Chenoweth's character Olive sings throughout the show are fantastic. He's done Hopelessly Devoted to You from Grease, Eternal Flame by The Bangles, Birdhouse in Your Soul by They Might be Giants and Hello by Lionel Ritchie and has made them these delicious little nuggets of awesome that are really grounded in the score's style.

CSI - John M. Keane

What I love about John M Keane's score for CSI isn't that it's quirky or thematic or anything like that. It's that it's so wide ranging and each case has its own musical identity. Most recently there was a case in last week's episode *SPOILER ALERT* featuring inbreeding and the score, much to my amazement was totally riffing off Bear's Rest Stop and Wrong Turn scores. Evil Banjo FTW! The music isn't distracting and while it's certainly not the most prominent score out there, I think there have really been some peices which would totally stand up on their own.

And my honourable mentions go to:

Star Trek: TNG/DS9 scores by Jay Chattaway (See The Inner Light from TNG and Chrysalis from DS9)
Warehouse 13 by Edward Rogers
Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Christophe Beck and Robert Duncan. There have been more but these two are the ones that stood out the most.
Dexter by Daniel Licht
Game of Thrones by Ramin Djawadi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:56 pm 

-Battlestar Galactica
-Star Trek The Next Generation
-The Simpsons
-MacGyver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:18 pm 

1. Fringe - Chris Tilton
2. Human Target - Bear McCreary
3. BSG - Bear McCreary
4. Doctor Who - Murray Gold (The 11th Doctor's theme is the best version imo)
5. Sherlock - David Arnold & Michael Price

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:38 am 

Can't believe no one mentioned the soundtrack from Carnivale (Jeff Beal)...it's amazing and has some of the most intensely sad and haunting music I've ever heard. Carnivale and BSG are my two absolute favorite TV scores.

And a newer one in the mix these days, Game of Thrones has a nice soundtrack.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2