It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Name some of your favorite BSG songs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:59 pm 

"Something Dark is Coming" - This song moves me like none other. Thank you Bear!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:56 pm 

Roslin and Adama is my favorite. Just beautiful.

Kara Remembers is a very close second. Have played that on repeat more times than I can count. And is the only one I've actually seriously attempted to learn on piano.

Others:
Pegasus
A Good Lighter
Passacaglia
Colonial Anthem
Prelude to War
Black Market
Dreilide Thrace Sonata No. 1
So Much Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:07 pm 

Well i love a lot of course but if i had to choose one, it would be "Something dark is coming" too. For so many reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:50 pm 
Global moderator

Is it just me or have I always heard Worthy of Survival as a faster and more fleshed out and harmonically expanded version of Something Dark is Coming, with the bass shifts between i to VI, with arpeggiated strings on top. I realize harmonically Worthy of Survival is much more complex, but they seem to come from the same place.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:17 am 

I've definitely noticed the similarities between "Something Dark is Coming" and "Worthy of Survival" but not anywhere near your level of detail.

I'm not a musician but I know what I like! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

musicpaladin2007 wrote:
Is it just me or have I always heard Worthy of Survival as a faster and more fleshed out and harmonically expanded version of Something Dark is Coming, with the bass shifts between i to VI, with arpeggiated strings on top. I realize harmonically Worthy of Survival is much more complex, but they seem to come from the same place.

I never noticed that. "Worthy of Survival" was intentionally re-booted in Season 3 as "Gentle Execution," but that was the extent of any re-use.

I think what you're hearing is my use of minor "i" and major "VI," chords that I used all the time in BSG. Many, many cues were constructed around this basic idea, including "Worthy of Survival" and "Something Dark is Coming."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:47 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:
musicpaladin2007 wrote:
I think what you're hearing is my use of minor "i" and major "VI," chords that I used all the time in BSG. Many, many cues were constructed around this basic idea, including "Worthy of Survival" and "Something Dark is Coming."

I love this. It makes me feel like I'm standing outside on a fall night with the wind blowing through the trees and on the horizon...a thunderstorm. sort of like a calm foreboding.

My favorite tracks are:

A Good Lighter
Battlestar Operatica- I think of Verdi when I hear it.
Battlestar Muzaktica- I can't help it... I love it.
Something Dark is Coming- I keep waiting for the distorted guitars in drop D to break the bass groove with the rhythm instead of the drums.

I could keep on going, I love it all. In fact, I've setup a jukebox-bot on Teamspeak so my guild can listen to music while we're playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, and BSG is always on the top of everyone's list.

I can't wait for Blood and Chrome

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:47 pm 

I'm extremely anxious for Blood & Chrome. I'm just hoping it will actually air on tv.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:48 pm 

My favourite piece has to be Worthy of Survival. I see it mentioned once or twice on this list but it's not a "big hit" like with Storming of New Caprica, Wander my Friends or Prelude to War.

I presume all of you (us, now I've registered) here have the collections. There's a bit I'm referring to which stirs me more than any other: at 1:54. The strings.

You see, one of my favourite episodes is Exodus (dur :p) and there's a bit in the episode just when the Pegasus appears and Lee comes over the comms saying "Galactica, Pegasus; let us take some of this work off your hands" - and in the background it's the same part of music. This part of the score was not part of the piece Storming of New Caprica.

I love SoNC to bits (in fact, I often sit there playing it at work - I work a night shift with not a lot to do - with pots and pans and whatever I can find :D) but that bit missing annoyed me. However, I discovered Worthy of Survival which is a nearly-4-minute piece of that small part of the score. Made me happy!!

I see you read this forum occasionally, Bear. Rather than e-mail you directly, as I'm sure you get a lot of e-mails, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for your hard work and skills - along with all of the instrumentalists and musicians who took part in the series and sound-tracks.

I used to play the Clarinet - but have not done so in years. I have an old recorder from school which I still keep with me and sometimes play along to your music when I listen to it. However, it's rather limited in the notes it can produce by its very nature. It's thanks to you - you, Bear - that I have on order a Yamaha B flat clarinet from e-bay. I'm intending to take up my old habits purely so I can actually reproduce (most of) the range of notes that your pieces deserve. I'm a little rusty, but give me a couple of months, I'll make a badly recorded version for you to (not) listen to :D

Thank you so much again.

EDIT: My other favourites are:

Something Dark is Coming
Pegasus
Martial Law
Gentle Execution
Roslin and Adama
1 Year Later
Battlestar Sonatica

Reading above, it's no wonder I like GE and SDiC, heh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:27 am 
Global moderator

If I recall correctly, the section you're referring to was taken out and replaced in post-production with what you are referring to in the final cut, and I think the soundtrack version is what was originally composed for that scene.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next