It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: My New Forum!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

JBizzle wrote:
Like the new forum.

Seems like there should be a space for Walking Dead, which I don't see. The music isn't exactly as substantial as BSG, but it is a great show (and has the virtue of being currently on the air).

Wow, good point. Will put it up for sure. :) Today is the perfect day to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:57 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:
Hey everybody, so I'm going to get things started here. I've not really spent a lot of time on any forums in the past, so you guys will have to educate me a little. But, this seems like it would be really cool. What sort of things would you like to see happen here?

Hi,
I just started enjoing the new design and especially the media player feature...
BUT... this forum opens not within a frame of your site and the whole top menu and of course the media player are not available anymore. This means that when we open the forum we have to do it in another page to keep the media player opened.

danielo, Milan - Italy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:43 am 
Global moderator

It's probably a limitation of the software - the forum is probably loading a completely different page that's just themed to look like the rest of the site. I've had this issue before with other websites and it's a beast to overcome.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

MusicPaladin2007 is right. The forum will be included in the main site in a future version but it was too much to try incorporate into the launch version of the site.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:40 pm 

Bear. If it makes you feel any better, I have No Idea what half of your fellow fans just wrote regarding the technical details of the forum. LOL! This is incredibly new to me as well, but there is no better place to start than right here!!! Thanks again for sharing your music with the world! I feel like I am the lucky one for getting to hear it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:44 am 

Looks like spammers have struck. Hopefully there's ways of dealing with that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:15 am 
Global moderator

A first step would be a confirmation e-mail after registration, but the spambots get around that quick.

What we did on caprica-city.de is another usergroup. Right after registration, you can't open new threads (and that's what the spammers do most of the time). You have to write a post in an existing thread and will be automatically promoted to the next usergroup when your postcound reaches "1". After that, you can open Threads yourself.
After that, we got rid of about 90% of the spam.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:29 pm 

Spam levels are rising, and they're probably only going to increase as more spam networks find the site. The suggested prevention of new user accounts posting threads is quite effective (used it on an old site I ran before the software got upgraded). Also look at different captcha systems, as the current one doesn't appear to work very well - custom questions such as "name a TV show soundtracked by Bear" will defeat the automated bots, and we're not big enough to be worthy of human intervention. And there's always KittenAuth et al.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Sentynel wrote:
Spam levels are rising, and they're probably only going to increase as more spam networks find the site. The suggested prevention of new user accounts posting threads is quite effective (used it on an old site I ran before the software got upgraded). Also look at different captcha systems, as the current one doesn't appear to work very well - custom questions such as "name a TV show soundtracked by Bear" will defeat the automated bots, and we're not big enough to be worthy of human intervention. And there's always KittenAuth et al.

I know! Thanks for the heads up. I'm still figuring all this out, and will get on this soon. The spam is getting ridiculous. I'll check this out as soon as I can. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:36 am 

This is not good. Spam is horrible !!!!

I can't remember, but do you guys use on e of those CAPTCA things as a requirement to register?

This is a great community, with a grafiti problem :(

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next