It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Your top 5 TV show soundtracks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:16 pm 

So what would you say are you all-time 5 favorite tv show soundtracks? I'm referring here to the show in its entirety and not just a single episode or season.

Here is my list,

1. Battlestar Galactica (2003 reboot)
2. The X-Files
3. Babylon 5
4. Caprica
5. Star Trek: The Original Series

Post subject: Re: Your top 5 TV show soundtracks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

This is a tricky one. Especially because many TV shows had scores by various composers. But, if I had to say my favorite 5 TV show scores, based on averaging the music across the whole series, I would say:

- BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES
- THE SIMPSONS
- TALES FROM THE CRYPT
- METALOCALYPSE
- THE TWILIGHT ZONE

Of course, with Twilight Zone and Tales from the Crypt you're almost cheating including them on a list like this, because they are scored by a "who's who" of the most prolific and talented composers alive in the era.

But, IMHO, "Batman the Animated Series" is the greatest television score in the history of the medium.

And, these scores fall on a list somewhere between TV and theatrical shorts, but honorary mention has to be made for Scott Bradley's "Tom and Jerry" scores and Carl Stalling's "Looney Tunes" work in the 40's and 50's. Absolutely remarkable work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:29 am 
Global moderator

That's way too hard to answer for me. Even when I get it down to 5, there's no way I wouldn't forget, well, 10 others. Some shows that come to my mind...
At the moment I really like the Game of Thrones (Ramin Djawadi) music. Trauma would be high on my list (Bear, I guess I'm the only one who watched the show :( ). Firefly (Greg Edmonson) had an amazing score. Heroes (Wendy and Lisa) was nice, too. Doctor Who (Murray Gold) always amazes me. Torchwood (Ben Foster), too. Buffy (Christophe Beck) was great, biiig fan of the final fight theme from the final episode. I have to stop now before I get to those cool eighties shows.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:58 am 

In alphabetical order:

Battlestar Galactica by Bear Mccreary
Batman: the Animated Series by Shirley Walker
The Borgias by Trevor Morris
Spartacus: Blood and Sand by Joe Loduca (known for Evil Dead)
Jonny Quest (the original series) by Hoyt Curtin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:09 pm 

Battlestar Galactica (Bear McCreary)
Battlestar Galactica (Stu Phillips)
Dexter (Daniel Licht)
Star Trek TOS (Various)
Star Trek TNG (Various)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:42 am 

I know I said only top 5 but I have to add one more.

Twin Peaks - Angelo Badalamenti

That opening credit sequence was brilliant!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:43 pm 

Well, If i put Battlestar Galactica/Human Target/The Cape/Caprica on here there wouldn't be room for anything else, so just take it as a given that they top my list. As for other composers (I'm going by soundtrack albums here):

1) Doctor Who Series 5 (Murray Gold)
2) Doctor Who Series 4: The Specials (Murray Gold)
3) Babylon 5: Messages From Earth (Christopher Franke)
4) Torchwood (Ben Foster & Murray Gold)
5) Firefly (Greg Edmonson)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:21 am 

Top of the list for me would have to be:

1. Human Target by Bear McCreary (***I honestly consider the second season a completely different show after they destroyed it so thoroughly)

For the remainder of the list, I consider spinoff series part of the parent series unless otherwise indicated, because I'm going to have enough trouble as it is.

Tied for Second:

2. Battlestar Galactica (2003)/Caprica by Bear McCreary
2. Doctor Who (2005)/Torchwood by Murray Gold and Ben Foster (I do not include SJA despite being composed by the same team because with only a couple of brief, minor exceptions, the music simply is not as good, with apologies to Elisabeth Sladen, may she rest in peace. For Torchwood, the first two seasons were better than the more recent two; and for Doctor Who, it started strong and got stronger as it went on, hitting a continuous high from Season 3 through the post Season 4 Specials, with Season 5 and 6 being strong but not quite the strongest... Check out "This is Gallifrey/Vale Decem" for a good sample of the terrific music here)

After that it starts getting really difficult, but with my mood at the moment:

4. From the Earth to the Moon by various including Michael Kamen, Mark Mancina, James Newton Howard, and Mason Daring et al
5. Eureka (season 2 and subsequent) by Bear McCreary

Honorable Mention (sorry for the kind of cheat here but I honestly can't make up my mind, and the below do rise to fourth or fifth based on my mood, listed alphabetically by [parent] series title)

Alias by Michael Giacchiano (not sure of the spelling, sorry)
Andromeda, Gene Rodenberry's, by Matthew McCauley
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (season 2 and subsequent)/Angel by Christophe Beck and possibly others
Cape, The, by Bear McCreary
Dead Like Me by (Unknown, apologies)
Dollhouse by (Unknown, apologies)
John Adams by Rob Lane and Joseph Vitarelli
Firefly by Greg Edmonson
Heroes by (Unknown, apologies)
Pushing Daisies by (Unknown, apologies)
Stargate SG-1/Stargate Atlantis/Stargate Universe by (Unknown, apologies)
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip by WG Snuffy Walden (I think)
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles by Bear McCreary
West Wing, The, by WG Snuffy Walden (I think)

Finally, despite the request for whole series, I think Warehouse 13's un-frakking-believable sucker punch Season 3 finale - the climax at the end, you know what I mean if you've seen it - and it's superb Main Title (criminally truncated in Season 3) qualify it for an Honorable Mention as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:20 pm 
Global moderator

My first reaction when reading this topic was that I'd never get to five top TV show soundtracks... But I took a moment and started thinking back to when I was young and innocent (yes those days did exist).

I remember being completely in love with the Airwolf theme (by Sylvester Levay). All extra scores in that series were very similar to the main theme(s) so I really liked the scoring.
it was of course very late seventies beginning eighties electro stuff, but now that Giorgio Moroder got a lifetime achievement award, I feel I can out myself as a fan (or I used to be one back in the early nineties when I watched the show). I even found myself trying to find the notes to play the theme on my transverse flute.
For those of you who want to walk down memory lane, you can listen to it here.

Other than that I also liked the music from Buffy The Vampire Slayer, although Christophe Beck had to score the entire soundtrack using synths, and could only sometimes get an actual musician in to play one instrument 'live'. Still I find some of his themes to be utterly touching.

The next tv series that really touched me was The West Wing but more because of great drama, than great music. Other than some really well placed songs, I can't recall the music. So it doesn't get an honorable mention here.

What of course does get an honourable mention is Terminator, Sarah Connor Chronicles. Should I say more?

For me another absolute spectacular soundtrack (and definitely not enough mentioned by my fellow posters is Michael Giachinno's Lost.
For me the finale of Lost definitely rivaled "Daybreak", musically. (Sorry if that is blasfemous on this forum).
As prove I link to 'Moving on', a piece of music that always succeeds in touching me.

And finally, my all time favourite is and will always remain Battlestar Galactica. And because I'm pasting links here for all my favourite shows, I'll do that for BSG as well.

Well, what do you guys think of my eclectic selection?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:55 pm 

Making a Top 5 will be very difficult. After BSG, Caprica, Human Target and T:SCC, there's not enough room to put other good scores ;)

Elin, I had totally forgotten the Airwolf theme, it reminds me of my childhood :mrgreen:
I remember old themes : The A-Team, Knight Rider and McGyver. I won't put youtube links for those themes, I think everyone know them ;)

Michael Giachinno did a really good job for Lost, I directly fell in love with his music when I started to watch the show. His work on Fringe is really good ;) .

I also like Murray Gold's score for Doctor Who, even if we often hear the same themes during the series (I read that the BBC allowed not enough money for the music :( ). Here are some of my favorite pieces from the score :
Doomsday from the end of Season 2. One of the saddest scene of the Series.
All The Strange, Strange Creatures from Season 3. We can hear this theme each time the Doctor is doing something epic :mrgreen:
Vale Decem from Season 4 - The Specials. The Last scene with David Tennant, sad, emotional and beautiful...

And a little bonus : The evolution of the Doctor Who theme during fifty years : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J_3rsEwYVE

I stil have to watch Torchwood, but the music sounds great :)

And I will also mention the Heroes soundtrack, composed by Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman (you've got an answer, apollo :) ) .

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next