It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:20 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 15   [ 143 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who I Am, Where I'm From!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:19 pm 

Hi,

I'm Martin, originally from Wrocław, Poland, currently working on a PhD in Warsaw. Music is a very important part of my life. I find it inspiring, stimulating, and ever and anon, cathartic. After many a night spent on deliberations on the purpose of life, I have concluded that in a reality of absolute relativity, where nihilistic hedonism is the only reasonable path to tread upon, music is one of those few things which make existence meaningful and worthwhile.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:35 am 

vicmackey187 wrote:
Been a soundtrack aficionado since John Willliams reappropriated Korngold back in '77 :D

I started listening to the Gerhardt Classic Film Scores series recently, and when the King's Row theme came on, it sounded like the Superman and Star Wars themes rolled into one. I also heard shades of Silvestri's Back to the Future theme in the Prince and the Pauper.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:56 pm 
Global moderator

Hello to everyone,

This is Marc (Harrison5 on the blog..and on here too..obviously) and I'm from around the York, Pennsylvania area. Previously I was on the battlestar Poseidon (call sign "Short Fuse"..I'll let you figure that one out on your own..lol..) when those frakkin toasters took the Colonial forces by total surprise. Luckily myself and a few others found the Scylla and those other 14 civilian ships to take refuge on. We thought we were saved when Pegasus arrived but soon realized that we were about to live a new horror. Most of us (from the Poseidon) ended up "voluntarily" transferring to Pegasus and then a few months later we found Galactica's fleet.

And now... we're here...(ha ha)..

I'm doing several different things at the moment including I.T (Information Technology) and some photography. Oh, and I'm enjoying this AMAZING music from Bear McCreary, Raya, M.B. Gordy, and all of the other wonderful musicians, sound engineers/mixers, and producers. The videos here on the site are awesome too !!!!...as well as the sound clips.

Bear, you and your staff are amazing to put in all of that time and effort.

Thanks alot for putting up this forum. The new site is great too !!..

~ So Say We All ~

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:50 pm 

Hi folks, I'm Kevin, student-ish, and living in Paris/Strasbourg, France.

I discovered Bear's work on BSG, like many, and followed the blog since the break during season 4, though I don't think I've ever posted something. I've had my share of endless trolling debates when I was a bit younger and I'm kind of fed up with forums, comment sections and everything, but I'll give here a try :)

Nice to ~meet you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:25 pm 

Skating_Lientje wrote:
Hi, my name is Elin and I live in Lokeren (Belgium).

Hi Elin!

Last edited by ISing4Cylons on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:01 pm 

I'm OneBuckFilms, from the UK, then southern California, and I'm a film/tv music fanatic.

Introduced to Bear's work through BSG (gateway score), and progressed from there. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:22 pm 

Hi, My name is ISing 4Cylons. That's my real name. My parents were OG Battlestar fans, what can I say?
Anyway, I met Bear McCreary at a Halloween Oingo Boingo concert in 1987. I couldn't look away after I caught sight at him.

We were at the Roxy club on Sunset Blvd, and I was with Yanus, my boyfriend at the time. He was dressed as "old Batman" and I was dressed as Carrie Kelly (girl Robin).

We were dancing, but from behind me I could hear a guy singing along with the band - he knew every word, every nuance, and I would've turned and said "Hey man shut up!" but his pitch was so good, there was such musicality - I couldn't stop listening. I finally had to turn around, so see who this person was.

I told Yanus I was going to the bar. Turning to face the back of the club, I squeezed between a Darth Vader and a Ronald Reagan in a sequin suit. My cape snagged on Reagon's cufflink "Sorry Mr. President." He didn't hear me.

The voice was still cutting through the crowd like a laser, or like very willful silly string. I followed it until my green boots were compelled to stop on the edge of an opening in the crowd. I pulled down my yellow tinted goggle-glasses, and pushed my bangs away. There, in the spot of a dingy club light, in a flurry of cotton refuse, dust , and Aqua-Net particles - there in the trailing remnants of a dry-ice cloud, was a man in black Nikes, brown cargo shorts, and a Pink Floyd T-shirt. He was completely absorbed in the moment. Long black hair violently cutting through the atmosphere, tinsel caught in his goatee, he was a force of nature.
I had to know him. I approached,
"Excuse me.."
"Huh?"
"Who...who are you? Do you know the band?"
"I'm Bear."
"No, not your costume, who are you?"
"That's my real name."
"Oh sorry. I have a weird name too. So, you're really into the band, huh?"
"What?"
"YOU'RE REALLY INTO THE BAND HUH?"
"Oh yeah! I really like to stand! This is a great band!"
"Whatever. Have you worked with them?"
"Yeah!"
"When?"
"Like 2006!"
That's when I realized he was crazy.
I LOVE crazy. I leaned in.
"Hey, you wanna make out? My boyfriend's way over there."
"Ok sure! After this song."

So after the song we went and made out, and then he told me about Elmer Bernstein, and Lalo Schifrin and Nino Rota and the whole world of film music, and that he was a film and TV composer, from the FUTURE!

I was just about to laugh...when there was a huge crashing noise from outside the club - a giant BOOM. Everyone in the club kept dancing, but Bear ran outside, I followed.

I shadowed Bear into the alley. We rounded a the back corner of the club, and there was a bright light quivering 10 feet above the ground. I skidded on my heels. It was luminous and fearsome all at once. I put on my glasses again. Bear walked towards it and a sort of static tube extended downward from the glow. Another man appeared in silhouette, and began walking down the tube. I heard Bear shout,
"Brendan! The show's not over!"
"Well, Raya wants you home, and I'm done with the guitars on the Walking Dead cue."
"One more tune!"
"Dude, I've got rehearsal in the morning and I'm not leaving the Boom tube open again. Remember last time when someone got in there and created SPAM? Now that exists."
" *sigh* ok. Well I guess this is goodbye...what was your name?"
"ISing4Cylons."
"Cylons?"
"My parents are real nerds"
"Well, don't worry. You'll be cool again. I promise."
And he walked up the tube into the light and, there was a crazy flash - then nothing.

For years I wondered if it was a dream, but then I saw him interviewed for Battlestar, and there he was! I wanted to tell Yanus (now my husband), but I thought I'd keep it to myself for a bit. It was so special to meet Bear back then, and to be a fan now!

Well , sorry that was so long winded. Anyway that's me! Looking forward to being a part of this forum!
- ISing 4Cylons

P.S. This is Raya. Most of the above is completely false. Except about the SPAM. That is our fault, I am sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:36 pm 
Global moderator

Awesome post! :mrgreen:

And hi Raya! *waves*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:40 pm 

Awesome story Raya :)

Awesome voice too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:41 am 
Global moderator

Raya, not gonna lie. That was pretty epic.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 15   [ 143 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next