It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 7   [ 65 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Off topic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:40 pm 
Global moderator

What do you guys think of having a place/a thread to post things that are not Bear or score music related, but that we find interesting and want to share with the little community we are creating here?

The good thing about being a moderator is that if the idea is vetoed I can remove the thread as easily as I created it ;).

Of course it goes without saying that off topic is not a call for spam, or for obscene stuff, but just things that caught our eye, and we like to share.

Post subject: Re: Off topic
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:51 pm 
Global moderator

OK, let me then start this thread off with something that had me enthralled the past weekend.
I went to a tango weekend, in which different tango teachers gave workshops, and then also performed during the evening dance (milonga).

While the performance of the teachers dances last night has not (yet) been posted on youtube, I found a similar recording by one of the teacher couples that was present this weekend.

For me this is the summum of being in connection with yourself, your partner, the music and the floor.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJK22bQE ... ture=feedu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:02 pm 
Global moderator

I'm all for it...this has my vote. Glad you had a great weekend !!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:37 pm 

Skating_Lientje wrote:
The good thing about being a moderator is that if the idea is vetoed I can remove the thread as easily as I created it ;).

WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AT WAR WITH EASTASIA

I went up to London this evening for a gig - Amorphis (Finnish folk metal band) supported by Leprous (Norwegian progressive metal band). Unfortunately, there was an accident on the motorway into London and I was delayed by two hours, and thus entirely missed Leprous (though I saw all of Amorphis' set), which I am still annoyed about. Amorphis were great, though.

I also went to see Orphaned Land (an Israeli folk-ish metal band - one of my favourites, and a very different sound to most European folk metal bands) on Tuesday, and that was amazing. Tiny little basement club, no more than a couple of hundred people there - I love that sort of gig, where everyone who's shown up's a massive fan of the band. Such a good atmosphere. (Also, something rather different for the band in question, who sell out massive arenas at home in Israel...)

While I'm at it, a couple of weeks before that I saw Abney Park. I can't really neatly drop them into a genre (they refer to themselves just as steampunk), so here's a link. I defy anyone to listen to them and not want to dance.

I'm not sure why so many bands I like all decided to schedule gigs at the same time (there was at least one other I wanted to go to but couldn't make it - Insomnium + Before the Dawn - and I think some others I'm forgetting as well), but it's been a fun couple of weeks. Normality resumes now. Next gig I've got scheduled is Rodrigo y Gabriela in February.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:12 am 
Global moderator

actually, (and respectfully) I'm considering reversing my decision on this whole subject. I'm not sure we need to be talking about " wars " while here. I'm not exactly sure how to put my concerns into words but maybe we should just keep this " McCreary " related ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:31 pm 

Harrison5 wrote:
actually, (and respectfully) I'm considering reversing my decision on this whole subject. I'm not sure we need to be talking about " wars " while here. I'm not exactly sure how to put my concerns into words but maybe we should just keep this " McCreary " related ?

Don't panic! My comment was just an offhand literary reference, to changing history in George Orwell's 1984 - it was just a silly joke about removing the thread such that there had never been an off topic thread were it decided we didn't want one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:30 am 
Global moderator

Sentynel wrote:
Don't panic! My comment was just an offhand literary reference, to changing history in George Orwell's 1984 - it was just a silly joke about removing the thread such that there had never been an off topic thread were it decided we didn't want one.

Thanks for clearing that up, man. I didn't catch the reference either :oops:
We are definitely not going to remove the thread. We might even make it a forum, so different off topic posts can be created by members.
Sentynel wrote:
Next gig I've got scheduled is Rodrigo y Gabriela in February.

I've already had the chance to see them perform live. They ROCK!!! 8-).
Is it your first time seing a performance of theirs? If so, you're in for a good time. Take it from me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:08 am 

Skating_Lientje wrote:
Sentynel wrote:
Next gig I've got scheduled is Rodrigo y Gabriela in February.

I've already had the chance to see them perform live. They ROCK!!! 8-).
Is it your first time seing a performance of theirs? If so, you're in for a good time. Take it from me.

Yeah, this will be the first time. I have their Live in Japan album, so I have at least some idea of what I'm in for, but I know the recordings are never a comparison for the real thing. I'm definitely looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Here's my off-topic thought: Been listening to a lot of "System of a Down" lately. Always kinda liked them, but really got into them the past month. Picked up most of their albums, and have been consistently surprised by how inventive some of the songs and arrangements are.

On a more soundtrack related note, I got LLL's new album of Shirley Walker's SPACE ABOVE AND BEYOND. To be honest, I'd never seen this show, but this album freakin' rocks. My admiration for Walker grows by leaps and bounds every time I hear something new she did. Simultaneously makes me even more sad that she's gone. But, I'm grateful that her music out there to be enjoyed now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:00 pm 
Global moderator

Bear, you GOT to see the show. S:AAB is one of my all time favorite scifi shows.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 7   [ 65 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next