It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:31 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Star Trek: The Motion Picture complete score
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:39 pm 
Global moderator

So... in the barrage of complete Star Trek scores that seem to be coming our way recently, LaLaLand (the same label that has released a lot of Bear's stuff... BSG, Terminator, Human Target, Caprica, etc) is releasing a full and definite and newly remastered release of the score to Star Trek: The Motion Picture - to be 3 discs long, and to include alternate takes, including all of the cues that Jerry Goldsmith threw out after director Robert Wise asked him to change his main theme for the Enterprise.

Remastering this score apparently included taking the tapes and putting them in the oven and baking them for 8 hours, as the masters were breaking down and in danger of being lost forever. Risky proposition!

I'm super amped about this - TMP has never been my favorite film, however it has long been at the top of my list of favorite Trek (and all time) scores, right up there with Horner's Wrath of Khan.

I fully believe that a score can save a sinking film up a level from where it would be with a mediocre score, and that a mediocre to bad score can sink an otherwise decent movie.

Post subject: Re: Star Trek: The Motion Picture complete score
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:01 am 

This is great news indeed and I've always loved ST: The Motion Picture and the Goldsmith score is terrific indeed. I'll be buying this for sure as soon as it's released.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:47 am 
Global moderator

MOST excellent !!...& it's about Frakkin time !!..:)

- End of Line -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:37 pm 
Global moderator

I got it in the mail the other day.

The quality is absolutely stunning.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:54 am 

I got my copy of this in the mail on wednesday. Oh my frakking gods... I loved this music before but La La Land records really have outdone themselves - I thought their Star Trek V remaster was good, this blows it out of the water. This score has NEVER sounded so good as it does on this set.

I damn near had a heart attack when I first heard the opening fanfare from the main theme and the squeegasm continued right through the full set. Like a lot of folk around these parts, Jerry Goldsmith has been a huge influence on me and so to have a recording of this quality of one of his greatest (and one of my favourite) film scores is just incredible. I hope they do the same with his scores for Insurrection and Nemesis.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:55 pm 
Global moderator

jd2607 wrote:
I got my copy of this in the mail on wednesday. Oh my frakking gods... I loved this music before but La La Land records really have outdone themselves - I thought their Star Trek V remaster was good, this blows it out of the water. This score has NEVER sounded so good as it does on this set.

I damn near had a heart attack when I first heard the opening fanfare from the main theme and the squeegasm continued right through the full set. Like a lot of folk around these parts, Jerry Goldsmith has been a huge influence on me and so to have a recording of this quality of one of his greatest (and one of my favourite) film scores is just incredible. I hope they do the same with his scores for Insurrection and Nemesis.

Insurrection, IMO, is a severely underrated score. I love it - it has everything I love in a Trek score... action and beautiful passages.

I liked portions of Nemesis but I have always wondered how much of it was really Goldsmith's work, as he was likely quite sick at that point. I've just always had a sneaking suspicion that he had ghostwriters for that one, especially considering how much of it was quotations of other scores or lifted/sounds eerily like another one. (The Argo sounds a lot like Insurrection action music, the quotation of The Enterprise, the frequent usage of the 3-3-1-5 "quest" theme from ST5/First Contact). I've never been a fan of the large spans of the score that consist of the droning unison low notes for Shinzon's theme.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't gotten mine yet! I CAN'T WAIT!! This is one of my favorites scores ever. Definitely one of the "desert island" scores.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:25 pm 

@musicpaladin2007

When you listen to the complete score for Nemesis it's clear that it's all completely new music. He uses the "A Busy Man" theme from Final Frontier as a sort of Picard/Data theme throughout the film. There's only one track in the entire score that's a direct lift from/reference to another track and that's Remembering Data/The Enterprise which ends with a slowed down arrangement with the same instrumentation of The Enterprise from TMP.

@Bear

While I love the TMP score, my "desert island" trek score would have to be First Contact (The remastered version is incredible, BTW)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:55 am 

Of the Star Trek Films, my top 2 are definitely Goldsmith's score for TMP and Horner's score for Wrath of Khan.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:21 am 
Global moderator

My favorite would be ST IV, simply because it was my first OST CD ever. And First Contact, great opening.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next