It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Getting started on Outlander - !
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:12 pm 

You wrote in a blog: "One of the interesting things about working on a television series (as opposed to a stand-alone film) is that you never know when or how characters are going to develop."
With Outlander, of course, you do (or can) know, by reading Diana Gabaldon's books.
I am curious...
Have you had the opportunity to read the books?
Have you had the opportunity to chat with Diana?
(I'm curious, for example, how insights like her sense of the "Internal geometry of Outlander" (http://www.dianagabaldon.com/2010/12/ja ... -of-three/) might spark your thinking about scoring music themes...)
Thank you! I am so excited you will be making Outlander beautiful and stirring to listen to, too!

Post subject: Re: Getting started on Outlander - !
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:51 pm 
Global moderator

Honestly, not necessarily. Walking Dead is a good example - they are using the graphic novel as a guideline, but the characters don't always follow the same path or the same fate as the graphic novel. Otherwise it would be pretty boring if you always knew who was going to die.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:25 pm 

Well, it will be very disturbing for millions of Outlander Fans if Ron and Maril break their promise to stay true to the novels as they bring them to the screen. Most of us re-read the novels multiple times, as we will likely view the series' episodes, and we are far from bored; quite the opposite. The comparison to Walking Dead is therefore a poor one, as it is a different type of vehicle from the 8 highly detailed and intricately plotted Outlander novels. The plot of Outlander can not be changed in any significant ways without screwing up the warp and weft of Gabaldon's characters' development.
And by the way, who is 'Global Moderator'? Do you know anything about the Outlander novels; have you read any of them? I doubt Bear shares your rather cavalier attitude to the novels or the characters… Or if he does, that would be good for the Fan base to know sooner rather than later!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:17 am 
Global moderator

'Global Moderator' is a title, not a name :) I just means he's a team member, keeping the boards clean of spambots.

Laura, if you're reading this: I'm curious if they kept being close to the novels. Can you tell us anything about it? Or somebody else? I watched two episodes and never read the books. But I'm still planning on catching up on the episodes.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]