It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: your own '33' moments
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:11 am 
Global moderator

Right now I'm struggling to stay awake after only a few hours of sleep last night. And I felt a flashback coming to that fabulous first episode after the miniseries, called '33'.

I thought most of us will have our 33-related sort of experiences, so I thought I'd create a place on the forum for it.

So let me kick it off. Last night I had to make a forecast of the gauge heights of the navigable rivers in Flanders (Belgium) and as it has been seriously raining, all the rivers are swelling, and some of them are already flooding the surrounding fields.

So last night I had the 'late shift' (went to sleep at around 1AM) and this morning I had the early shift (I was at work at 6.20AM, had to get up at 5.20AM) and tonight I have another late shift.

So I'm trying to stay awake and clear, while knowing if I screw up that might have significant implications.

STAY AWAKE, Elin, STAY AWAKE...

No colleagues/bosses coming around with pills to take just yet. Coockies with sugary content, yes :D

Post subject: Re: your own '33' moments
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:26 am 
Global moderator

Not job-related, I work 8AM-5PM every day. But There's one weekend without much sleep every day. FedCon, Europes biggest SciFi convention. Friday morning till Sunday afternoon, three days fun fun fun. Not much time to sleep -or eat- and much beer and J├Ągermeister in the evening. I need a lot of coffee on those days. Worst thing: now they changed it to four days, Thursday till Sunday. And I'm getting old ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:54 am 
Global moderator

In 2008 for some reason I stay awake for about 45 hours straight. I still wonder why I did that. Needless to say things felt quite interesting after the first 24 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:20 am 

My '33' moment, as it were was entirely self inflicted. One night at about 8pm, I came to the decision to watch all 11 Star Trek movies in one sitting. By this point I'd already been up for about 13 hours. And so at about 10:30, after 2 hours of pottering around and doing nothing productive, Star Trek: The Motion(less) Picture goes in and it's not so bad. There's Jerry Goldsmith to keep me going. I get through The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock. The Voyage Home is where it starts to get difficult. The Final Frontier is just painful, and at about 6am, it's hard work. I sorta got my second wind during The Undiscovered Country and I made it all the way through Insurrection before I started feeling the effects of being up for, by that point, about 33 hours. I managed to make it through both Nemesis and STXI and by the time I'd finished I'd been up for about 37 hours. Suffice to say, it was hard keeping my eyes open and my brain functioning for that long.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]