It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 8   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:18 pm 

Those are all hugely defining moments of the show that you listed Ralara.

I seriously never thought that anything would top the music for the X-Files and Babylon 5 but then BSG came along...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:26 pm 

AdamCarlo wrote:

I seriously never thought that anything would top the music for the X-Files and Babylon 5 but then BSG came along...

Mark Snow is a great composer, and I mean no disrespect to him when I say I can't actually remember most of his music. I mean, it was there, clearly. But it wasn't very bold, generally. But then, the X-Files was generally quite subtle in how it played out (kinda). So the music there, fit the bill.

BSG was... "in your face", and I think the music played up to that. I think (and, from what I've read, many critics agree) that the music really set this series apart. It was just so "damned right". The mood, the setting - everything. I don't want this to come across as hero worshiping or something, but damn, the music. It was.. "so damned right" :)

It took a great TV show and elevated it to another level.

I'm a big fan of the Terminator Duo of films (there were only two :p) and I watched TSSC with anticipation but also holding my breath (in a kind of "will it?" way). I don't want to talk about the show itself, here (although I liked it!), but I clearly remember watching it thinking "this music is fam... oh, the credi.. yup, it's Bear :D ). So recognisable. I don't meant in a derivative or "copy" way at all - I really don't. But I mean the way I know if a movie has John Williams composing or James Horner - and yes, I do put Bear up there on that level. I consider Bear to be on that level - he has a signature in his music. (Motorcycle Chase is my favourite out of all of it, btw).

And that's a good thing. He's left a mark upon my brain \o/

AND I CANT GET IT OUT :p lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:13 pm 
Global moderator

I have to agree with you about the scene with Cain when she was telling Adama " I don't take orders from you ". I was thinking, " you Frakkin B..tch "..:)...sorry, but she really pissed me off. I was kind of expecting Roslin to lecture her (while meeting with her and Adama in Colonial 1) " sure, lets kill the chief (I guess Engineer...is that what Tyril is ?)...we can always find another with his experience / background..right ??

-End Of Line-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:10 am 

Harrison5 wrote:
I have to agree with you about the scene with Cain when she was telling Adama " I don't take orders from you ". I was thinking, " you Frakkin B..tch "..:)...sorry, but she really pissed me off. I was kind of expecting Roslin to lecture her (while meeting with her and Adama in Colonial 1) " sure, lets kill the chief (I guess Engineer...is that what Tyril is ?)...we can always find another with his experience / background..right ??

-End Of Line-

"Call it what you like. I'm getting... my men."

*slam*

8-) 8-) :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 am 

In any lesser "typical" Hollywood produced tv show, Admiral Cain would have been portrayed as a simple, moustache-twirling villain but the way she was portrayed on BSG was simply brilliant. Yes, someone with some serious flaws and questionable ethics but also someone whose motives you can at least identify with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:16 am 

Am I the only one who did this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQklnLFclM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 am 
Global moderator

I find that as The X-Files went on, the music grew to be more prominent and more harmonically pleasing and complex. A lot of the scores also contain almost totally synthesized scores with piano, with the occasional sampled orchestral instrument.

I'm a much bigger fan of his score to "Fight the Future" (the first feature) and to a lesser extent the more intimate "I Want to Believe". They actually use a blend of synth elements and a full symphony orchestra but don't deviate too much from his compositional style for the show, it's just on a grander scale. I'm holding out for a third feature, and with the topic of such a film being the alien colonization, I'm eager to hear what a score to that might sound like.

Ralara wrote:
AdamCarlo wrote:

Mark Snow is a great composer, and I mean no disrespect to him when I say I can't actually remember most of his music. I mean, it was there, clearly. But it wasn't very bold, generally. But then, the X-Files was generally quite subtle in how it played out (kinda). So the music there, fit the bill.

BSG was... "in your face", and I think the music played up to that. I think (and, from what I've read, many critics agree) that the music really set this series apart. It was just so "damned right". The mood, the setting - everything. I don't want this to come across as hero worshiping or something, but damn, the music. It was.. "so damned right" :)

It took a great TV show and elevated it to another level.

I'm a big fan of the Terminator Duo of films (there were only two :p) and I watched TSSC with anticipation but also holding my breath (in a kind of "will it?" way). I don't want to talk about the show itself, here (although I liked it!), but I clearly remember watching it thinking "this music is fam... oh, the credi.. yup, it's Bear :D ). So recognisable. I don't meant in a derivative or "copy" way at all - I really don't. But I mean the way I know if a movie has John Williams composing or James Horner - and yes, I do put Bear up there on that level. I consider Bear to be on that level - he has a signature in his music. (Motorcycle Chase is my favourite out of all of it, btw).

And that's a good thing. He's left a mark upon my brain \o/

AND I CANT GET IT OUT :p lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Agreed with musicpaladin about the X-Files scores. The first feature score was the best, IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:19 am 

BSG went through highs and lows for me. I loved pretty much everything during the first 2 seasons, but it really started to slide during the 2nd two. However, knowing I was going to hear fantastic music kept me coming back.

That said, my favorite scene in the entire series is actually from the final episode:

Starbuck's goodbye to Anders, followed by her goodbye to Apollo - gets me every time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:27 am 

Favorite track: Something Dark is Coming.
Honorable mention: Kara Remembers

I will say, as a soundtrack-phile, having a show make the soundtrack - especially a score as good as BSGs - an integral part of the show was wonderful.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 8   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next