It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:15 pm


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 8   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:18 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:15 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Miami, FL USA
Those are all hugely defining moments of the show that you listed Ralara.

I seriously never thought that anything would top the music for the X-Files and Babylon 5 but then BSG came along...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:26 pm 

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:38 pm
Posts: 5
AdamCarlo wrote:
Those are all hugely defining moments of the show that you listed Ralara.

I seriously never thought that anything would top the music for the X-Files and Babylon 5 but then BSG came along...


Mark Snow is a great composer, and I mean no disrespect to him when I say I can't actually remember most of his music. I mean, it was there, clearly. But it wasn't very bold, generally. But then, the X-Files was generally quite subtle in how it played out (kinda). So the music there, fit the bill.

BSG was... "in your face", and I think the music played up to that. I think (and, from what I've read, many critics agree) that the music really set this series apart. It was just so "damned right". The mood, the setting - everything. I don't want this to come across as hero worshiping or something, but damn, the music. It was.. "so damned right" :)

It took a great TV show and elevated it to another level.

I'm a big fan of the Terminator Duo of films (there were only two :p) and I watched TSSC with anticipation but also holding my breath (in a kind of "will it?" way). I don't want to talk about the show itself, here (although I liked it!), but I clearly remember watching it thinking "this music is fam... oh, the credi.. yup, it's Bear :D ). So recognisable. I don't meant in a derivative or "copy" way at all - I really don't. But I mean the way I know if a movie has John Williams composing or James Horner - and yes, I do put Bear up there on that level. I consider Bear to be on that level - he has a signature in his music. (Motorcycle Chase is my favourite out of all of it, btw).

And that's a good thing. He's left a mark upon my brain \o/

AND I CANT GET IT OUT :p lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:13 pm 
Global moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 176
Location: York, Pennsylvania
I have to agree with you about the scene with Cain when she was telling Adama " I don't take orders from you ". I was thinking, " you Frakkin B..tch "..:)...sorry, but she really pissed me off. I was kind of expecting Roslin to lecture her (while meeting with her and Adama in Colonial 1) " sure, lets kill the chief (I guess Engineer...is that what Tyril is ?)...we can always find another with his experience / background..right ??

-End Of Line-

_________________
Harrison5 - York, Pennsylvania


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:10 am 

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:38 pm
Posts: 5
Harrison5 wrote:
I have to agree with you about the scene with Cain when she was telling Adama " I don't take orders from you ". I was thinking, " you Frakkin B..tch "..:)...sorry, but she really pissed me off. I was kind of expecting Roslin to lecture her (while meeting with her and Adama in Colonial 1) " sure, lets kill the chief (I guess Engineer...is that what Tyril is ?)...we can always find another with his experience / background..right ??

-End Of Line-


"Call it what you like. I'm getting... my men."

*slam*


8-) 8-) :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:07 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:15 pm
Posts: 180
Location: Miami, FL USA
In any lesser "typical" Hollywood produced tv show, Admiral Cain would have been portrayed as a simple, moustache-twirling villain but the way she was portrayed on BSG was simply brilliant. Yes, someone with some serious flaws and questionable ethics but also someone whose motives you can at least identify with.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:16 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:16 am
Posts: 18
Location: Daegu, South Korea
Am I the only one who did this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQklnLFclM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:48 am 
Global moderator

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:04 pm
Posts: 129
Location: Atlanta, GA
I find that as The X-Files went on, the music grew to be more prominent and more harmonically pleasing and complex. A lot of the scores also contain almost totally synthesized scores with piano, with the occasional sampled orchestral instrument.

I'm a much bigger fan of his score to "Fight the Future" (the first feature) and to a lesser extent the more intimate "I Want to Believe". They actually use a blend of synth elements and a full symphony orchestra but don't deviate too much from his compositional style for the show, it's just on a grander scale. I'm holding out for a third feature, and with the topic of such a film being the alien colonization, I'm eager to hear what a score to that might sound like.

Ralara wrote:
AdamCarlo wrote:
Those are all hugely defining moments of the show that you listed Ralara.

I seriously never thought that anything would top the music for the X-Files and Babylon 5 but then BSG came along...


Mark Snow is a great composer, and I mean no disrespect to him when I say I can't actually remember most of his music. I mean, it was there, clearly. But it wasn't very bold, generally. But then, the X-Files was generally quite subtle in how it played out (kinda). So the music there, fit the bill.

BSG was... "in your face", and I think the music played up to that. I think (and, from what I've read, many critics agree) that the music really set this series apart. It was just so "damned right". The mood, the setting - everything. I don't want this to come across as hero worshiping or something, but damn, the music. It was.. "so damned right" :)

It took a great TV show and elevated it to another level.

I'm a big fan of the Terminator Duo of films (there were only two :p) and I watched TSSC with anticipation but also holding my breath (in a kind of "will it?" way). I don't want to talk about the show itself, here (although I liked it!), but I clearly remember watching it thinking "this music is fam... oh, the credi.. yup, it's Bear :D ). So recognisable. I don't meant in a derivative or "copy" way at all - I really don't. But I mean the way I know if a movie has John Williams composing or James Horner - and yes, I do put Bear up there on that level. I consider Bear to be on that level - he has a signature in his music. (Motorcycle Chase is my favourite out of all of it, btw).

And that's a good thing. He's left a mark upon my brain \o/

AND I CANT GET IT OUT :p lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:04 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 2:54 am
Posts: 351
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Agreed with musicpaladin about the X-Files scores. The first feature score was the best, IMHO.

_________________
______________
-Bear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:19 am 

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:58 am
Posts: 3
BSG went through highs and lows for me. I loved pretty much everything during the first 2 seasons, but it really started to slide during the 2nd two. However, knowing I was going to hear fantastic music kept me coming back.

That said, my favorite scene in the entire series is actually from the final episode:

Starbuck's goodbye to Anders, followed by her goodbye to Apollo - gets me every time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:27 am 

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:58 am
Posts: 3
Favorite track: Something Dark is Coming.
Honorable mention: Kara Remembers

I will say, as a soundtrack-phile, having a show make the soundtrack - especially a score as good as BSGs - an integral part of the show was wonderful.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 8   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron



Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group