It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 8   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:59 pm 

I have a lot of favorite tracks — both versions of "A Promise to Return," all versions of "The Shape of Things to Come," "A Prelude to War," "An Easterly View," "Something Dark is Coming" — I made a whole playlist of them. I just started watching the show again for the first time since the finale, and the music has lost none of its impact despite my having played it ad infinitum on my car stereo in the meantime.

As for scenes, there are a lot of those that stand out, and in all of them the music is so crucial to the impact. Every scene with a piece of "Prelude" attached, pretty much. That same final scene of Season 1. The exodus (especially the Adama maneuver!). The hangar scene scored by "The Line," and how "Prelude" sneaks in when you listen closely.

One of my very favorites is in the finale, when it's becoming clear what the opera house really is and the music shifts into "The Shape of Things to Come" and then into a darker version of same. Gave me chills. Also really love the final scene with (real) Baltar and Six as they head off, and the last bit with Adama.

Another is simply the opening credits of the first season in the U.S., with the variation on the funeral theme from "Act of Contrition" (or was it the other way around?) — I like the music that replaced it well enough, but the original music and its variations captured the mournful and desperate tone of the show better, and it's one of my favorite pieces. It doesn't really show up again after early in the second season, I think, and I missed it. Not sure if that one was entirely your composition, though — were some of the early episode pieces written or co-written by Richard Gibbs, or was that just the pilot?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Sarcasmorator wrote:
Another is simply the opening credits of the first season in the U.S., with the variation on the funeral theme from "Act of Contrition" (or was it the other way around?) — I like the music that replaced it well enough, but the original music and its variations captured the mournful and desperate tone of the show better, and it's one of my favorite pieces. It doesn't really show up again after early in the second season, I think, and I missed it. Not sure if that one was entirely your composition, though — were some of the early episode pieces written or co-written by Richard Gibbs, or was that just the pilot?

There were some pieces that we both contributed to in the early part of Season 1, yes. The UK Main Title was one that both Richard and I wrote, and the US one was Richard's alone. As for the influence from "Act of Contrition" I think it was my score for that episode that initially influenced SciFi to try doing the alternate main title in the first place. I honestly don't know why they wanted to try a different piece of music there. But, I definitely wrote "Two Funerals" long before the UK Main Title.

It's honestly been long enough now that I have trouble remembering.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:20 pm 

Prelude to War- the track that has everything you need.

That moment where Adama gets in the lone Raptor to wait for Laura... one of the most romantic moments in TV history.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:14 am 

Started listening to season 3 last night and I was falling asleep to "Battlestar Sonatica". What a beautiful piece of music!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:17 am 

There are so many good ones but it's funny, the first one that immediately springs to mind is such a small moment. The beginning sequence of 'Home part 2' with the scenes in the rain to 'Allegro' and there was a shot of a dirty, wet page from the bible they were using to navigate

so beautiful... and my personal favourite variation on the Kobol theme.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:25 am 

oh and I can't believe I forgot! The themes from when Six and Eight are downloading at the beginning of 'Downloaded' and the prologue of 'No Exit' when we find out who the final cylon is! Can I just say that I am outraged that they were never released as proper scores, because it meant I had to rip them as mp3s for myself :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:18 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:
There were some pieces that we both contributed to in the early part of Season 1, yes. The UK Main Title was one that both Richard and I wrote, and the US one was Richard's alone. As for the influence from "Act of Contrition" I think it was my score for that episode that initially influenced SciFi to try doing the alternate main title in the first place. I honestly don't know why they wanted to try a different piece of music there. But, I definitely wrote "Two Funerals" long before the UK Main Title.

It's honestly been long enough now that I have trouble remembering.

Thank you for the insight. It's something I've wondered about since the first time I popped a Season 2 DVD into the player in, gosh, 2005.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:34 am 

My favorite "scene" from the show may still be the montage that opened "Precipice" out of many choices.

More broadly, I've been very touched by Maelstrom (and the accompanying tracks), and I always try to listen to/watch All Along the Watchtower as a form of cathartic release afterwards.

I also have the unusual distinction of having run a Dungeons and Dragons campaign based in part on the lyrics to Gaeta's Lament.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:18 pm 

Seconded on "Gaeta's Lament". What an awesome track. I love the slow build up too from hearing AJ's voice and then the strings and then the drums!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:08 pm 

I don't know where to start.

For the tracks, I love a lot of them; the top one is accorded to my state of mind.. I'd say The shape of things to come, Pegasus, Violence and Variations, Something Dark is Coming, Diaspora Oratorio, mainly. And I've narrowed it down as much as I could :-°

And the scene.. I love the opera scene at the end of season one. Not my favorite, but every time I watch it, I'm carried away by both the music and what's happening. And then Boomer takes it all away a bit later :) The discovery of earth is kind of the same. It literally left me stunned the first time I watched it, because I never saw it coming and it took me a bit to realize what was happening. The scene with Tyrol talking with a jailed Baltar, the one where he uses his birth accent, too. Anyway, I'll never be able to settle down to one scene... Otherwise, my two favorite episodes are The Dance, and Baltar's Trial :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 8   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next