It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 8   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!

I was just thinking today about the first time I watched the end of Season 1 with my family. I'd seen it hundreds of times, but they'd never seen it yet. The palpable suspense in the air when Boomer shoots the first time, and then hearing everyone in the room scream "NO!" Then she shoots again and everyone screamed again. It was like watching a tragic event unfold in real life. I'd truly never experienced anything like it. To this day, that moment -- watching the first season finale with an audience who didn't know what was coming -- remains one of the highlights of my experiences with BSG.

What about you guys?

Post subject: Re: Favorite Scene / Favorite Track: BSG
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:50 pm 

That was a big moment, but this is a tough question because there are so many great BSG moments. When Tigh declared martial law and that theme cued up and you knew it was going to hell in a handbasket, that was a powerful moment for me. It's easy to burn through a box of tissues during Daybreak. When Gaius helped the 6 on Pegasus, it felt like a turning point that he had grown a lot. Then there was the downfall of Gaeta, and Zarek...

I hope lots of people start replying so that I can then go "Oh yeah me too!" :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:00 pm 
Global moderator

Oddly enough two of the biggest moments like that for me are from Revelation.

The first of course is the shocking apocalyptic Earth scene ending. I had two thoughts: one was "Oh Ron Moore, you did NOT do this to us you evil evil man...." and "well crap".

The second was when the final five are about to be airlocked. I seriously was on the edge of my seat for 5 full minutes thinking he totally could have done it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:21 pm 

There are so many favorite moments and tracks for me but I'll keep it to one of each for brevity. :-)

1. Favorite track - Prelude to War

2. Favorite moment - When Tigh, Tory, Tyrol and Sam are all being compelled to walk to the same room on the Galactica towards the very end of the season 3 finale and the revelation that they're all cylons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:26 pm 

First pick would be Storming New Caprica. The piece as a whole fits the desperate attempt to free New Caprica perfectly. From the suspense of seeing the Raptors fly away from a shrouded Galactica to the Adama Maneuver to the Pegasus' sudden appearance and sacrifice.

Extremely close is Apocalypse from The Plan. The bass riffs gave me chills as the base stars jumped into orbit, and gave me even more chills when the hybrids gave their status reports.

Favorite track may be All Along The watchtower.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:23 am 
Global moderator

Whoa, tough question. First thing that comes to my mind for both scene and track would be the beginning of "Pegasus", first time we see the beast.

My favorite tracks are "Prelude to war" and "Wander my friends". I like them all, but those really stand out for me.

To name one favorite scene would be impossible. I loved Galactica jumping into the atmosphere of New Caprica, and the build up to "All along the watchtower" and the reveal of the Final 4. Or Saul killing Ellen. Or the confrontation between Saul and Adama in "Sometimes a great Notion". Or Cally's Death. Or Chief's reaction when he learned that it was Tory.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:47 am 

It’s taken me about an hour to think of this, but for me it has to be the end of Revelations. After the brightness and warmth of the scene where they find Earth and we get Diaspora Oratorio in all of its awesomeness, the conclusion of that episode was just devastating.

I watched the first 4 seasons up to Revelations on DVD, but at the time, I really wasn’t aware of the show or what had gone on and so I watched it, not knowing there was another bunch of episodes still to come. And even now that I’ve watched that episode half a dozen times it still leaves me all raw and unable to speak.

As for my favourite track, I have several. But at the minute, I really love “Earth” from Daybreak. The combination of the “home” theme (that’s what I’m calling it because it’s been applied to both Caprica and by extension the 12 colonies and Earth 2.0) and the theme from Worthy of Survival (which is definitely one of my favourite themes) just does things to me. In the miniseries, Adama asks what makes humanity worthy of survival and suggests that maybe they aren’t, and for the most part (see Worthy of Survival and Gentle Execution) that’s what the theme says to me. But in Earth, it comes across very differently, like it’s saying “Well, maybe they weren’t, but perhaps they are now”. I also love that Worthy of Survival sorta became Ellen’s second theme.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:17 am 

I love An Easterly View and the accompanying scene towards the final minutes of BSG. Prelude to War is definitely my all time favourite though, both in and out of context- the orchestral version is still the best and sets the scene wonderfully in the episode it is used in but I adore the solo piano interpretation too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:50 am 

Well, let's see. Favorite track honestly changes frequently, sometimes daily. The most recent has been Kara Remembers, but Prelude to War, Assault on the Colony, Storming New Caprica, and So Much Life all remain overall favorites. (I think my husband could listen to Prelude on loop for hours, quite honestly.)

As for favorite scene, that's hard. There are so many wonderful scenes in BSG. Boomer shooting Adama, Galactica jumping into the atmosphere of New Caprica, the revelation of 4 of the final 5, Ellen's death, Galactica slamming into the Colony, the death of Pegasus, and so many others. I think that if I had to choose one scene, it would probably be the revelation of the wasteland of Earth. Even though I know it's coming, it still leaves me breathless.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:21 pm 

It's very hard to pick one - there are too many beautiful tracks!

Perhaps, bitter and dramatic 'Distant sadness'.
And the beginning of the Third season is one of my favourite moments :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 8   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next