It is currently Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Feature Films (science fiction)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:20 pm 

Hi Bear, would you consider doing a sci-fi feature film if given the opportunity? I just recently saw the trailer for Ridley Scott's new "Prometheus" and I just couldn't help but think that you'd most likely come up with a great score for that one! :-)

Post subject: Re: Feature Films (science fiction)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:19 pm 

AdamCarlo wrote:
Hi Bear, would you consider doing a sci-fi feature film if given the opportunity? I just recently saw the trailer for Ridley Scott's new "Prometheus" and I just couldn't help but think that you'd most likely come up with a great score for that one! :-)

Agreed! I loved Alien, and I'm sure Ridley Scott will make the prequel everything a movie audience could hope for. I had a similar thought when I saw the trailer, and imagined that Bear would do splendidly on such a project if given the task.

On the subject of Scott; a while back he commented that he wanted to adapt a novel called The Forever War, where a soldier travels across space to fight on a distant battlefield, but because of relativity he actually arrives several decades later while only experiencing a fraction of that time. Once his tour of duty was over, he'd make the same trip home. Upon returning home everything would be different. All of his friends & family would be long dead & buried, and society itself would be completely changed. It was supposed to be an analogy of the experience of Vietnam veterans; returning home to a world that seems different from the one you left with no one to relate to. I've always thought that Bear does a fantastic job of attaching music to people -- making the audience empathize with what they are seeing on the screen. This film, if Scott ever got around to it would be an extraordinary character study, and Bear's style would seem to be the perfect fit.

I would imagine that if any film studio ever gets the oft attempted (and failed) latest adaptation of Dune into full production that Bear would be ideal for a film such as well. A shame that Paramount couldn't get the most recent attempt together in the four years that they had the option to the film rights.

Sorry to ramble. I'm a bit of a sci-fi nerd, and with the day off tomorrow I suppose my keyboard is running away with me tonight. =D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:36 am 
Global moderator

EvanCudworth wrote:
On the subject of Scott; a while back he commented that he wanted to adapt a novel called The Forever War, where a soldier travels across space to fight on a distant battlefield, but because of relativity he actually arrives several decades later while only experiencing a fraction of that time.

Do you know there is a graphic novel made from this? It's really good. I remember buying it years ago as a young teenager, and understanding more and more of the deeper meaning of it as I grew older.

If you've never seen it, I highly recommend it.

More info about it you can find here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forever_War_(comics)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:09 pm 

Wow! I had no idea. Thank you for that. I think I may just have to go buy a copy on Amazon. =D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:00 am 

Speaking of Dune, I think the music composed by Brian Eno and Toto for the 1984 Lynch film is brilliant. It's one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

I'll have to give the original DUNE score a second listen. I remember it being pretty awesome, but I haven't heard it in years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

AdamCarlo wrote:
Hi Bear, would you consider doing a sci-fi feature film if given the opportunity?

Hmmm... If only you could see what I'm working on at this very minute! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:44 am 
Global moderator

Bear McCreary wrote:

Bear... What are you working on right now? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:15 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:

Now that is what I call a huge tease!!! ;)

What could it be? Maybe a score for I Robot 2 since Ron Moore is supposedly writing the script for it? I can't wait to find out.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]