It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:46 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 7   [ 65 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Off topic
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:15 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:
Here's my off-topic thought: Been listening to a lot of "System of a Down" lately. Always kinda liked them, but really got into them the past month. Picked up most of their albums, and have been consistently surprised by how inventive some of the songs and arrangements are.

I love some SoaD stuff, but I find they can be rather inconsistent. I think they're often a case of the vocalist making the band great, and on some of the songs when he's not really doing much more than shouting, it can fall a bit flat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Sentynel... your freakin' avatar ROCKS! What a hilarious picture!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:34 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:
Sentynel... your freakin' avatar ROCKS! What a hilarious picture!

Why, thank you. I thought you'd like it.
Here's the source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAlQuqzl8o

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:57 pm 

["Bear McCreary"] Here's my off-topic thought: Been listening to a lot of "System of a Down" lately. Always kinda liked them, but really got into them the past month. Picked up most of their albums, and have been consistently surprised by how inventive some of the songs and arrangements are.

Wow, we may have to compare “metal” notes someday. I am definitely a metal-head. Love System of a Down (Toxcicity), Testament (Low), Judas Priest, Megadeath, Faith No More, etc. I know Linkin Park is sort of metal, and I don’t like all of their music, but have you heard their Reanimation album? Holy hell that album gets my blood rushing!
Music is amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:05 am 
Site Admin

SueN wrote:
Wow, we may have to compare “metal” notes someday. I am definitely a metal-head. Love System of a Down (Toxcicity), Testament (Low), Judas Priest, Megadeath, Faith No More, etc. I know Linkin Park is sort of metal, and I don’t like all of their music, but have you heard their Reanimation album? Holy hell that album gets my blood rushing!
Music is amazing!

My favorites in the genre are Dethklok, Sepultura, Amon Amarth and Iron Maiden. Fun stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:30 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:
My favorites in the genre are Dethklok, Sepultura, Amon Amarth and Iron Maiden. Fun stuff!

Are there metalheads who don't love Iron Maiden?

Other than the classics, I listen to a lot of folk, symphonic and progressive metal. Some favourites/particularly interesting items, in no particular order, include Eluveitie (Gaulish folk metal, wide selection of real folk instruments, and some really catchy songs), Fejd (Scandinavian folk metal with no electric guitars, yet still unquestionably metal), Nightwish (film soundtracks meet metal with folk influences as well, and lots of stylistic variation in general, especially in their latest album, though I love everything they've done), and Ayreon (epic science fiction metal operas), though I could go on a lot longer.

Do any of you guys use Turntable.fm? (If you haven't heard of it, it's a really cool music sharing service allowing people to DJ for other users.) Unfortunately, it's only available in the US at the moment, which means the rest of us have to use VPN services to get in. Might be fun to schedule a session if there are enough people with access. I'm sure there's a lot of interesting and varied music between all the users here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:45 am 
Global moderator

Something completely different, I have been helping to clear out my parental house, as they are moving to the south of France. I admit, there are worse places tot move, and probably a move of 1000 km is peanuts, but for Europeans that's quite a move away from the family.
Anyways, the content of the house is basically split five ways: my parents take the largest part with them (thank God) two of other parts go to me and my sister respectively, one part goes to friends/family and the final fifth goes to the scrap yard.
It has been quite stressfull at times. The house needs to be cleared out before the arrival of the new habitants and I need to find a place to stash all the stuff I got from my parents (and as my house is quite small, that is not very easy. So I come from a place that's almost cleared out, to a place filled with boxes to the ceiling. It feels like I'm the one doing the moving.
Today one more day of helping to fill boxes.
If all goes well my parents take off one Friday, keeping my fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:50 am 

Where is it ?

I live in the south of France :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:00 pm 
Global moderator

Oh, I'd say that's quite a move... 1000km. I'm moving to Atlanta (the setting of The Walking Dead haha) which I believe is less than that, and that's a huge move for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:06 pm 
Global moderator

My last move was half a mile... :) Same old town. Luckily no zombies.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 7   [ 65 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next