It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 9   [ 89 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Spammers, you are not welcome here!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:30 pm 

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Post subject: Re: Spammers, you are not welcome here!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:29 am 
Site Admin

I know! So annoying! I'm working on increasing security here, but wow... I had no idea it could get this bad so quickly!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:04 pm 

Yeah, nothing seems sacred anymore. It's sad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:16 pm 

It's all automated web crawling. I get a full index of my (pretty tiny and very simple) site taken by a suspicious bot (i.e., something that's not a search engine crawler etc - one that doesn't respect robots.txt) every couple of days, several checks of the homepage/some other pages a day, and more thorough attacks looking for common PHP security holes and so on maybe weekly.
They're after forums/wikis that could be spammed, or security flaws that could be used to spam or inject malicious code, etc.

The hits are sourced from random computers with a few common patterns - i.e., a handful of major botnets.

Moral of the story is, the sheer volume of malicious hosts out there is mindboggling, to crawl the internet with this sort of frequency - they will find you, and quickly, and if there are any opportunities they'll hit them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

What really amazes me is how inept the writing in SPAM emails and posts is. I mean, are these all written by non-English speakers? Just glancing at the text, you can tell INSTANTLY that it's not a real post from someone you know or someone with a common interest. If I were a spammer, I could come up with something that was way more convincing then this stuff. Still, I suppose I'm glad that's generally not the case. And I suppose if these people were good at marketing they wouldn't need to spam in the first place. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:58 pm 

In some cases, I do wonder why they never seem to hire a native speaker here or there. Phishing emails in particular would benefit immensely in credibility from having correct grammar.

However, most of the spam posted on forums/wikis is designed to boost search engine rankings for the target sites by creating lots of links to them, rather than expecting many people to follow the links directly from the forum, so correct grammar is less useful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:50 am 
Global moderator

Well, in 2005, spammers won an ignobel prize in literature (which are prizes that honor achievements that first make people laugh, and then make them think. The prizes are intended to celebrate the unusual, honor the imaginative — and spur people's interest in science, medicine, and technology..)

This is how they worded it:

Quote:
LITERATURE prize: The Internet entrepreneurs of Nigeria, for creating and then using e-mail to distribute a bold series of short stories, thus introducing millions of readers to a cast of rich characters -- General Sani Abacha, Mrs. Mariam Sanni Abacha, Barrister Jon A Mbeki Esq., and others -- each of whom requires just a small amount of expense money so as to obtain access to the great wealth to which they are entitled and which they would like to share with the kind person who assists them.

If you guys don't know the prizes, you should check out their website:
http://www.improbable.com/ig/winners/

Here are some of my favourite prizes:

- 2007 LINGUISTICS prize: Juan Manuel Toro, Josep B. Trobalon and Núria Sebastián-Gallés, of Universitat de Barcelona, for showing that rats sometimes cannot tell the difference between a person speaking Japanese backwards and a person speaking Dutch backwards.

- 2005 PEACE prize: Claire Rind and Peter Simmons of Newcastle University, in the U.K., for electrically monitoring the activity of a brain cell in a locust while that locust was watching selected highlights from the movie "Star Wars."

- 1997 METEOROLOGY prize: Bernard Vonnegut of the State University of Albany, for his revealing report, "Chicken Plucking as Measure of Tornado Wind Speed."

Last edited by Skating_Lientje on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:12 am 

Make it so that someone has to moderate requests for an account, and that any account posting spam would have their IP traced, then permanently blocked from the site, and their account deleted.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:35 am 

Skating_Lientje wrote:
Ig Nobels

Hah, I'd forgotten about that particular Ig. Classic. I do love the Ig Nobels. Though I thought this year's winners weren't an especially good crop by their usual standards...

OneBuckFilms wrote:
Make it so that someone has to moderate requests for an account, and that any account posting spam would have their IP traced, then permanently blocked from the site, and their account deleted.

Manual moderation of new accounts is immensely labour-intensive, and it can be surprisingly hard to tell spam accounts anyway.
IP blocking is ultimately futile, as you're dealing with botnets with anywhere from tens of thousands to millions of available drones (most of which will be on dynamic IPs anyway). You simply can't block them all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm 
Global moderator

Well, I suggested this in another thread but perhaps you and Raya could take some of the.... er.... libretto from these posts and construct some pieces from them!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 9   [ 89 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next