It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:57 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Good taste at an early age...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:19 pm 

I just wanted to share a picture of my daughter. I had loaded up the video of Bear playing Prelude to War for Solo Piano, and she came running in the room and demanded to be on my lap to watch. She was completely enraptured the entire time the video played.
I should add that we have inundated her with good music (the BSG scores in particular) since before she was even born. The night after she was born, I woke up at one point in the hospital to see my husband carrying this tiny bundle of a baby around the room and humming the Colonial Anthem to her. She's been a music geek-in-training from the start. :D
(And please don't mind the mess on the desk - I've been cleaning, and things have sort of piled up there as I go through things in other areas.)

Post subject: Re: Good taste at an early age...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Wow mirnavela! Thank you SO MUCH for posting this. This totally made my night. Please give your daughter a hug for me and tell her there's more good music on the way. This has definitely provided the inspiration I needed to get back to work tonight. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 am 
Global moderator

Thank you so much for uploading the pic, Mirnavela.
It made me smile as well.

When I was young my parents let me listen to Ennio Morricone. I still remember the front of the record (it had a blue sky background and an eagle in front on it). And as it started with the theme of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, and my sister and I found that sounded a bit like 'Indians', we called that record the 'Indian record'.

We asked them so many times to put that record on...

Good musical choices by parents at an early age leads to good musical choices by the children at a later age. The proof is typing this message right now ;).

Elin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:40 am 

Thanks for sharing your story and pic mirnavela. That is absolutely great!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:59 am 
Global moderator

THANK THE GODS someone has done something like this with this kind of music !!!.

A child, not even a year old, is now a fan of Bear McCreary music and probably other awesome music similar to Bear's. (classical, etc..you know what I mean).

We salute you both : :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:34 pm 

I'm so glad you all liked the picture!
She loves music. She has a little piano she loves to bang on to make noise, and this odd little submarine-shaped thing that lights up and plays music, but she can "play" along with it. Usually she just sets it playing a tune and dances with it. If we play a video that has music, she hurries in to watch it. The same is true of commercials on TV with music, especially if the actors in the commercial are singing. She'll even try to shove us out of the way if we get between her and the source of the music.
Her bed-time routine requires that we read a short book, then I sing to her. Tonight, we sang Soft Kitty (from The Big Bang Theory) and Gaeta's Lament. Sometimes I sing the lyrics from Apocalypse to her. She's still little enough that she doesn't care what I sing to her, and the lyrics don't mean anything to her yet. (She just turned a year old.) But I know soon she'll start asking for things, and I can't wait to see what she asks to hear.
Bear, you'll be amused that she has been trying to say "Bear," but it's because there's a grizzly bear statue she likes to look at upstairs. I'm sure she'll start asking for more of your music by name soon, though. :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]