It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 5:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Why we like (Bear's) music...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:35 pm 
Global moderator

We all love music, especially the work of a certain composer... But what does music to our brain? Here's an interesting article about that. ;)

Post subject: Re: Why we like (Bear's) music...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:39 am 
Global moderator

Really interesting article.

Now I'm not sure if I should look at composers as people who are basically drugdealers or excellent lovers? On the one hand they give us a dose in the beginning of the piece to get us hooked and then string us out until we get a next portion/release at the end of the piece. But on the other hand they seem to be excellent in foreplay, before giving us the big release...

According to the article it's a lttle bit of both, as the same brain chemicals are released in the brain...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:22 pm 

…anticipatory phase violating expectations, undulating order, waiting expectantly, violation, clarity and certainty, embodied meaning, flirtation with – but not submission to, tonal dance, the chills, fulfilled expectations, inserting unexpected notes, euphoric emotional states, rewarding stimuli, climax of emotional responses, Happiness begins here.

Yep, that pretty much sums up Bear’s music. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:35 pm 
Global moderator

Sue, at first glance I thought your post was another one of the spam posts with random words grouped together, but then I realized it wasn't haha.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:02 pm 

Ha! you're right it does look like that! Nope just words plucked from the article. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:43 am 

The most fascinating thing to me about this subject is that there really is no solid, quantitative reason why people like certain kinds of music and not others.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:36 pm 

AdamCarlo... As I understand it music changes the heart rate along with the breathing rate and I think it has a different effect on different ages. I also understand that most everything is on some kind of vibratory pattern. So maybe it is whatever vibration we are attracted to? I don’t know. (sounds new-age-y I know)

My real question and curiosity is piqued because for the life of me I don’t understand how someone like Bear for instance, seems to pluck notes out of thin air. I’m sure he doesn’t feel that way (he makes it look easy), but it confounds me. And how does one person have the gift of writing music and not others? It’s not just training.

I don’t want to stop asking because that is how I learn and is my nature, but mostly I just groove on. I try to turn people on to Bear’s music but not all of them get it (yes I am biased). So for now it’s good for my heart and my breathing, that’s all I know.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:11 pm 
Global moderator

Sue,

What I always find fascinating is that even within the group of people that would consider themselves fans of Bear's music, there are very distinct differences.

I remember reading a post on Bear's blog by somebody who said that for him/her 'Among the Ruins' was his/her favorite track and (s)he would put it on repeat all the time.

Now while I liked the atmosphere it created in the scene and the music was perfect for that, and I can appreciate some of the intricacies in that pieces (I'm sure my untrained ear might only catch half of what Bear actually put into it) it would never be considered my favorite Bear-piece.

I'm much more of an emotional listener. With that I mean that I love to listen to music that emotionally moves me. And preferably that emotion is not despair ;).

I love pieces like Prelude to War, the Shape of Things to Come and Wander my Friends in most of their incarnations.
I get shivers from Raya's voice in 'Instant Sadness' for example.

And usually I appreciate the music more if it triggers deeper emotions than purely superficial happy ones. Hence my sincere love for Bear's BSG score, more than for instance Human Target, although that also had it's deeper moments.

But I know there are people out there that love the 'mental excercise' that music can bring. I can appreciate that for them, but it will never be my way of selecting music.

I had a very interesting experience not long ago.
Last year I had the opportunity to hear music by Eliot Goldenthal performed live. I was surrounded by film score bufs who were all very much into his music, and to be completely honest, I never really listened to his scores before, so I was completely open minded about the whole experience.
All I can say is his music didn't touch me, and found out that most people that loved his score, listen very 'rationally' to score music.

Fast forward one year into the future.
One month ago I get another chance to hear Goldenthal's music live again. This time he composed a suite (Recordare) based on pieces from the same movies as I heard performed last year, but he selected pieces as a tribute to his murdered press agent, who he loved very dearly.
I can say this music did reach me. It was emotionally poignant, it was emotional for him and therefore he selected emotionally driven musical pieces from his work, and so it emotionally reached me.

We all listen in a different way, and Bear can compose something in one way, but it can reach me in a completely different way. Nevertheless, I got emotionally touched, and therefore 'Thank you, Bear, for allowing me to have this enriching experience'.

What about you? Are you more of an emotional listener like me, or do you like the intricacies more that keep your mind guessing what's going to come next? Or do you listen in a complete different way still?

Elin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:50 pm 

Thank you Elin, I appreciate what you wrote very much.

I’ve loved music all my life and have been very moved by many different composers but none of it affects me like Bear’s music, specifically the BSG albums. I too love the Human Target soundtrack a lot, and I am quite fond of Socom 4. I am like a lunatic when it comes to the hurdy gurdy on The Cape soundtrack, but when I hear Pegasus, Prelude to War, or Passacaglia it’s like I am cast into another world and the music pulses in my veins. It takes me places. It’s funny, when I listen to the regular BSG albums they make me want to move my body, and lord if I could, play the taiko drums! Then like last week I listened to the BSG for Piano album (that Joohyun played) and all I could do was sob. They were the same songs, but they touched my heart so deeply!

So I guess the answer to your question is that I truly am an emotional listener. My mind never seems to be in the way and that is why I get the experience of freedom when I hear some of it. Sometimes I wonder why others don’t have that little gasp that I do when about the eighth note of Roslin & Adama. It pauses for just that perfect amount of time…

Sue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:38 am 
Global moderator

SueN wrote:
It’s funny, when I listen to the regular BSG albums they make me want to move my body, and lord if I could, play the taiko drums! Then like last week I listened to the BSG for Piano album (that Joohyun played) and all I could do was sob. They were the same songs, but they touched my heart so deeply!
Sue

Well, for me the Piano Solo album is an experience as well. In that way that some of my favorites (like Prelude to War) are played in such a way I like it but don't love it (just to set the record straight: I love Bear's rendition of it. On YouTube it's OK. The 'live version' from Ubeda was just dead on perfect). Somehow Joohyun doesn't hit my emotional chords quite as adequatly as Bear did.

But other pieces like Pegasus, Something Dark is coming etc just come to live in the Piano Solo album, and hit me harder then the orchestra pieces did.

SueN wrote:
So I guess the answer to your question is that I truly am an emotional listener. My mind never seems to be in the way and that is why I get the experience of freedom when I hear some of it.Sue

I guess that's a perfect description: your (and my) mind doesn't get in the way. And I can readily admit that I have quite an active mind, which is required to be very active at work (if I could only finish my PhD I could then be slightly less active during my evenings and days off). So having a means to go directly to emotions is 'pure gold' to me.

One of the other ways I can do that is dancing (Argentine) tango. That is also about feeling the music, feeeling your partner and most of all: NOT thinking. As a woman you are supposed to follow your leader, not anticipate.
And there, and I guess pretty much only there, I enjoy such a very un-emancipated world view ;). But again, it's about by-passing the mind and going straight to feeling.

SueN wrote:
Sometimes I wonder why others don’t have that little gasp that I do when about the eighth note of Roslin & Adama. It pauses for just that perfect amount of time…Sue

I guess that one is simple: because everybody's emotions get touched in a differrent way.

Elin

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next