It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:47 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 31 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite "Other" Music
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:27 pm 
Global moderator

Bear McCreary wrote:
growing up, I literally listened to nothing by film music for nearly 15 years. So, it was a steady diet. But, once I expanded my horizons a bit, I really got into rock and some pop.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one. I was in the same boat - I was actually always rather behind the curve and clueless about what was "in" on the pop music scene. For better or worse.

Ironically today, I think that could potentially hinder me if I ever composed scores for a living... I've broadened my horizons quite a bit but still consider myself under-educated when it comes to the rock/pop genre stylistically.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:10 am 

I don't discriminate genres into good and bad, you'll find almost every kind of music in my repository from classical, through scores, metal, minimal, techno, rock and roll, trans, lounge, jazz, to ethnic (and varios kinds I did not mention. It's like with food, if it tastes good I like it.

Example Specimens (off the top of my head):

Juno Reactor
The Prodigy
Rammstein
Apocalyptica
Glenn Miller
Immediate Music (great scores from movie trailers, I highly recommend it for those who enjoy epic music)
Audiohead
E.S. Posthumus
Beethoven
Carl Orff
Vangelis
Bach
Rossini
Yoshida Brothers
etc.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

BadgerBrock wrote:
Apocalyptica
Glenn Miller

Fantastic list. I love that these two acts are listed together! If only they could've lived at the same time for a collaboration. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:24 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:
BadgerBrock wrote:
Apocalyptica
Glenn Miller

Fantastic list. I love that these two acts are listed together! If only they could've lived at the same time for a collaboration. :)

We've born witness to "Apocalyptica Plays Metallica", perhaps we shall live to see "Apocalyptica Plays Glenn Miller". I mean, why not, they did Grieg. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:21 am 

A few years ago, I used to listen to metal, metal and more metal :D .
But now I 'm listening to quieter music, even if there is stil some metal in my playlists, especially Within Temptation, The Gathering and Epica.

Talking about Epica : they played a concert with a full symphonic orchestra, and the first part of that show was dedicated to classic and film music. A little sample here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpY2c6mnOwQ

I also like Loreena McKennitt, Sarah McLachlan, Dead Can Dance, Garbage, The Cure, Depeche Mode and Pink Floyd. (and lots of other artists, but it would be too long to name them all ;) ).

And to finish this post, I have to mention the Belgian band Hooverphonic. I'm a huge fan of them. I was a little bit sad when Geike Arnaert, their singer, left the band, but they found a new one who is excellent.
And Geike also came back with her first solo album last week.
You can listen to it here : http://soundcloud.com/knackfocus/sets/g ... -beauty-of

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:12 pm 

I enjoy a few bands such as Linkin Park, 30 Seconds to Mars, My Chemical Romance, H.I.M, Our Lady Peace, and 80's U2. lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:14 pm 

You know who else is pretty interesting is a group called 'Two Steps from Hell'! Their music is featured in loads of movie trailers!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:45 pm 

Random single song which is utterly brilliant and might appeal to some other folks here: To the Shoreline by Pain of Salvation. It references Ennio Morricone pretty strongly, mixed with classic 70s prog like Camel, and did I mention it's amazing?
This was listed as the best song of the year by one of the reviewers on my favourite metal review site, not that it's metal, and I could well agree.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:12 am 

Of classic music Bach is my favorite. Also I like modern instrumental music, like Bonobo and Rene Aubry. And if to speak about rock, I like Guns'n'Roses very much) I also like country blues and many many other genres and particular musicians, it all depends on a mood)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:14 am 
Site Admin

I haven't heard of Bonobo... what kind of music?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 31 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next