It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:02 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 31 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Favorite "Other" Music
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:20 am 

Naturally, many of us who will have joined this forum would be score fans or enthusiasts of orchestral/instrumental music. But what other stuff shows up in our playlists?
We can't just reply with the genre, or we'll have a ton of generalizations and nothing specific, like a plate full of mashed potatoes with no salt.

Myself, I've been an avid fan of modern a cappella ever since Rockapella's heyday, and especially so once I sang with the Glee Club in College. Collegiate groups like the Tufts Beelzebubs and MIT Logarythms and dozens more have been among my favorites. (Oddly enough, I've never seen The Sing-Off, nor Glee.)

Post subject: Re: Favorite "Other" Music
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:56 am 

If we're talking about any genre then classic rock is my mainstay but I also like a lot of classical and of course film and tv show soundtracks. So artists like Queen, Pink Floyd, The Police, Richard Wagner, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Styx, Three Dog Night, The Eagles and Creedence Clearwater Revival would be at the top of my list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:11 am 
Global moderator

I hear nearly everything. My favorite at the moment is I Blame Coco. All time favorites are Roxette, Queen, Barenaked Ladies, Aerosmith, R.E.M. and Sting. And many, many more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:58 am 
Global moderator

gearedsteel wrote:
Myself, I've been an avid fan of modern a cappella ever since Rockapella's heyday, and especially so once I sang with the Glee Club in College. Collegiate groups like the Tufts Beelzebubs and MIT Logarythms and dozens more have been among my favorites. (Oddly enough, I've never seen The Sing-Off, nor Glee.)

You should have been with us in Ubeda (Spain) this summer then. It would have been a combination of two of your loves, because the film music festival ended with an a capella concert of film music.

An excerpt can be seen here for instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G9VOPfXLH0

Elin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:49 am 

Quantitatively, there are stats for most of my listening here: www.last.fm/user/Sentynel (doesn't include my mp3 player, but otherwise it's fairly complete)

Qualitatively, some artists I've been particularly into lately include, in no particular order, Jenny Owen Youngs, The Decemberists, Fever Ray, Abney Park, Allen-Lande, Djerv, Amorphis, Pain of Salvation, Svartsot, Rodrigo y Gabriela, and many others. I think that's a fairly reasonable cross-section of my non-soundtrack music tastes, though it misses off some of the classic rock/metal like Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden et al.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

growing up, I literally listened to nothing by film music for nearly 15 years. So, it was a steady diet. But, once I expanded my horizons a bit, I really got into rock and some pop. My list of favorite artists in no particular order would be:

Elvis Presley (one of the greatest showmen / performers ever.)

Queen (Freddie ditto above, plus they are one of the rare bands where every single member was an incredible, hit-single songwriter. Not even the Beatles can claim this, sorry Ringo fans) :)

Oingo Boingo (this was the band that first got me interested in pop music, and the only reason I started listening to them was that I realized one of my favorite film composers fronted the band. And, of course, the rest was history. :)

Michael Jackson (with Freddie Mercury, the ULTIMATE combination of songwriter and performer. Talent rarely coalesces into a single human body like this.)

Pink Floyd (very orchestral sensibilities, and their collaborations with Michael Kamen were epic! I'm not a huge Syd Barrett fan, so my interest in the band really starts around "Meddle" and onward. The post-Waters era was also not as interesting, but I really liked a few tracks from "The Division Bell." Incidentally, I hear that Roger Waters is using some of my BSG music during intermission at his shows. Cool!)

Guns N' Roses (A gate way drug into harder metal for me)

Dethklok (An arguably fictional band, but musically Brendon Small's work really does eclipse most modern metal for me. It's so fuckin' heavy, lyrically a little tongue-in-cheek, but still meaningful and well-written. Metal that fires on all cylinders, both in the TV series and even more so on the album. I'm definitely looking forward to collaborating with him more in the future.)

There's a lot of artists who I deeply respect and listen to all the time, but these are the musicians whose music had the biggest impact on me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:50 pm 

I listen to pretty much anythiing but rap/hip hop. I was raised on country, but in high school I started delving into classic rock, which led to some of today's pop/rock. So my tastes really vary.

Faves include Martina McBride, Pat Benatar, Kate Bush, Florence + the Machine, The Rasmus, CCR, the Beatles, The Black Keys, Alabama, Reba, Sloan, Bat For Lashes..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:28 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:
Pink Floyd (very orchestral sensibilities, and their collaborations with Michael Kamen were epic! I'm not a huge Syd Barrett fan, so my interest in the band really starts around "Meddle" and onward. The post-Waters era was also not as interesting, but I really liked a few tracks from "The Division Bell." Incidentally, I hear that Roger Waters is using some of my BSG music during intermission at his shows. Cool!)

I think Waters and Gilmour played off each other well; they lose something alone. From the period where Waters dominated the band, I'm not much a fan of Animals, and I can't stand The Wall (I'm aware this makes me something of a minority amongst Floyd fans, but I feel it got lost in the story and mood and forgot to be a good piece of music) or The Final Cut. I don't much like A Momentary Lapse of Reason either, though exception: I do like The Division Bell (speculation: Gilmour's wife Polly Samson and the new bassist Guy Pratt contributing to the songwriting helped replace some of what Waters had done).
Wish You Were Here is my favourite album, quite possibly ever, not just by Floyd. I also love Dark Side of the Moon, naturally, and bits and pieces from the earlier work (especially Echoes).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:22 pm 

My favorite band is Crowded House and pretty much anything written by their lead singer Neil Finn (Split Enz, Finn Brothers, Pajama Club). Before Bear McCreary I didn't really listen to soundtracks and I still don't. However, his BSG work did get me into Middle Eastern music and other instrumental "world" music.

Thanks to Bear, I now really love Djivan Gasparyan, famous duduk player, Philip Glass piano works, and Zoe Keating's cello works. I think the common theme between all of these, Neil Finn, and Bear McCreary is that these artists write with a deep moving emotionalism and melancholy. Honestly, I'm less too into Bear's more traditional action scores, but I do love Caprica, Terminator, and some pieces of Rest Stop, SOCOM 4, and Dark Void.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:45 am 

Outside of soundtracks, I listen mostly to music very loosely classified as jazz, such as the funky blues of Marcus Miller or the rock and R&B infused music of Trombone Shorty. Also, a variety of jazz classics, particularly the work of Charles Mingus.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 31 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next