It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What instruments do we play or wish we played?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

BadgerBrock wrote:
*sigh* Everyone can play an instrument but me... I feel so inadequate.

Don't feel inadequate! You clearly APPRECIATE music, which is the first step. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:12 am 
Global moderator

BadgerBrock wrote:

You're not alone ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:52 am 
Global moderator

BadgerBrock wrote:

You're never too old to start learning to play an instrument.
Just pick your favorite and go for it :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:53 pm 
Global moderator

First of all I'd like to say that I'm sorry it took so long for me to become a more regular user of this awesome forum. I've been quite busy with things. I look forward to talking with the other users of this forum in the future.

As far as what instrument do I wish I could play or want to play. That would be the piano..but I'd also LOVE learning how to play some of the BSG music with those awesome Taiko drums too. But I'm sure alot of you would like that as well.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:31 pm 

I think the one 'instrument' I wish I could play is my own vocal chords. I have no ability to judge the pitch of my own voice (I'm not sure why this is; I score normally on pitch sensitivity tests). I've taken singing lessons to try and improve it, but never gotten anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:22 am 

First poster here, so hello!

I've been playing the guitar for... seven years now maybe? I recently finished a diploma in popular music and live performance specific to the guitar.

Thing is, I just bought a piano. What 'bothers' me a bit is that everytime I sit down to play it, I just can't help but feel that this is the instrument I was meant to play. I feel that I am immensely more talented at it than I am at the guitar, which in turn makes it feel like I've wasted the last seven years.

On a related note, I just bought the Battlestar Galactica songbook for piano and am now planning to master Prelude to War, even though I'm not incredibly proficient at reading music. Am I crazy? Yes. Will I die in the process? Probably. I'll let you know how it turns out! :|

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:06 am 
Global moderator

Grim wrote:
First poster here, so hello!
On a related note, I just bought the Battlestar Galactica songbook for piano and am now planning to master Prelude to War, even though I'm not incredibly proficient at reading music. Am I crazy? Yes. Will I die in the process? Probably. I'll let you know how it turns out! :|

Hi Grim,
Welcome to the boards.
Feel free to roam around a bit and post on other threads as well.
About wasting seven years, I'm sure you will have picked up things you will now be able to use when playing the piano. And be glad you found your big love after 'only' seven years. it could have been 20 :mrgreen: :-).

Also, good luck with Prelude to War. Please post a video with the final product (or maybe multiple ones with the different stages of you learning how to play this piece). We'll chear you on.

Elin

PS: Sorry for some sneak advertising, but we are in a campaign trying to rally as many FB-likes to get a release for Bear's 'The Walking Dead' soundtrack. Please go to this FB page and hit the like button.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:46 am 

Skating_Lientje wrote:
Hi Grim,
Welcome to the boards.
Feel free to roam around a bit and post on other threads as well.
About wasting seven years, I'm sure you will have picked up things you will now be able to use when playing the piano. And be glad you found your big love after 'only' seven years. it could have been 20 :mrgreen: :-).

Also, good luck with Prelude to War. Please post a video with the final product (or maybe multiple ones with the different stages of you learning how to play this piece). We'll chear you on.

Elin

PS: Sorry for some sneak advertising, but we are in a campaign trying to rally as many FB-likes to get a release for Bear's 'The Walking Dead' soundtrack. Please go to this FB page and hit the like button.

Thanks Elin! You're right, of course. I guess I should be happy that I even thought about buying a piano at all. :)

I will indeed post a video with the result! Though I'm torn about what to play first now - I've decided that I love Allegro just as much as Prelude to War (I'm very much into the season 2 soundtrack right now), and I noticed that Bear himself has already posted a solo piano version of Prelude, which is just mindblowing. Might start with Allegro and then go on to Prelude. :mrgreen:

And I'll like the FB page for sure! Haven't seen TWD yet, but I'm sure the soundtrack is amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:14 am 

As a much better pianist than guitarist myself, I will definitely say that playing one will help with the other in more ways than you'd expect (and this, of course, goes for pretty much any instrument combinations - personally, I also tinker with an Irish whistle sometimes).

I can play Prelude pretty well myself now (and some of the other BSG pieces, especially Elegy and Battlestar Sonatica (which was the first I learnt, and got me back into playing the piano)), but I'm way too much a perfectionist to ever post a YouTube video of it. There's always just a couple of bits I want to improve...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:37 pm 
Global moderator

Sentynel wrote:
I can play Prelude pretty well myself now (and some of the other BSG pieces, especially Elegy and Battlestar Sonatica (which was the first I learnt, and got me back into playing the piano)), but I'm way too much a perfectionist to ever post a YouTube video of it. There's always just a couple of bits I want to improve...

That's OK, Sam. We'll settle for a 'live' performance just as well ;).

Elin

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next