It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:46 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What instruments do we play or wish we played?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:15 pm 

Lex wrote:
Bear McCreary wrote:
Wow, a couple clarinet players!
And I've always envied how people who play violin and guitar on stage can move their bodies around, they're not stuck to a keyboard or piano bench.

best of both worlds :mrgreen:

I play... nothing :cry: I'm not very talented in everything music related. I can't sing, I can't dance and can't play anything.

If I could choose, I'd love to play the guitar. Second choose would be the piano.

This doesn't stop me from playing the uke. We even have one-finger chords like C and Am.

Oh oboe and cello, love love love oboe and cello. But what I'd really like to do is have an alto clarinet to experiment with. They're kinda pricey to just get for fun though.

But I tell ya, I really love playing the uke. I don't play very well. I'm in Bear's corner with the string instruments kicking my butt in a way that's not fun, but I can get by on the uke.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:29 am 

I play, in descending order of competence, the piano, guitar (+ukulele, but it doesn't get all that much attention..), and Irish whistle. Been playing the hell out of Prelude to War on the piano lately, though I'm still not happy with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:04 am 

I played clarinet from 5th grade to 12th grade. I started playing piano in 9th grade for a few years which helped when I joined Indoor Drumline; where I played Marimba, Vibes, Xylophone, pretty much any piano based instrument. I played violin for a year in elementary school, before I moved to clarinet. Now I regret not keeping up with clarinet since I miss playing and have forgotten most of the scales and struggle to read music. :( I didn't continue playing in college since I was burned out. Our band was competitive and we traveled a lot for competitions, so I needed a break. My college band rocks so there are times I wish I had joined them. (I graduated college in '07). If you've seen the OU 110 "Rock Party Anthem", that's them. :)

I recently found old sheet music from marching band days from my sophomore year show. (In Caelum Fero, from Adiemus) so I've been thinking about getting a beginning clarinet book to refresh my memory about how to play. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:42 am 

I played jazz trombone in college and did a very little bit of singing. I did take piano when I was younger.

In other venues I might be considered highly intelligent and/or creative, but my musical ability was never great. That said, I had fun.

As I'm working my way into medicine, I'm keenly aware of the healing value of the arts, especially music.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:01 am 

Alas, I cannot play anything (except maybe something percussive and intuitive). I always wanted to play the piano, though. That would be so awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:00 am 

I started playing guitar when I was just a little baby boy and continued up until the age of 20 when I got a little carried away and started practicing way too much. Instead of getting better I developed carpel tunnel in my left hand. I was pretty devastated at the time, but not devastated enough to get my hand operated on which at the time (and I think still now) carried some risks.

I didn't dwell on it too much though and it happened to be about the same time that I started getting into soundtracks. Listening replaced the pleasure of playing.

For the next 15 years I'd pick up the guitar occasionally (perhaps once a year) and play a little. Sometimes the pain and discomfort would return and then I'd stopped, sometimes I'd stop playing before that happened and much before I really wanted to stop playing.

About 4 years ago I felt enough time had passed to warrant another try. so I bought a new guitar and cautiously started playing more often (but not too often). I was amazed at how my fingers remembered pieces they hadn't played in over a decade. (I kept most of the sheet music I had from my younger days). I was enjoying it more and more and then a couple of years later I was suddenly overcome with a desire to spend money. The result was so a new sexier looking guitar (A Steve Vai Ibanez JEM with a monkey grip handle... I really wanted a guitar with a handle^^) and a really cool effects pedal to go along with (a Boss GT-10 if you're familiar with such toys). I still wasn't playing too much though and I wasn't attempting anything new, I was just happy to be able to enjoy pieces from childhood again.

It's funny that I grew up playing guitar because I have always been fascinated by the piano. I remember always being envious of people who could play piano and wished I had learnt. As much as I loved playing guitar, pianos had more appeal to me. Oh how I longed to be able to play!

Sometimes, when the opportunity arose, I'd sit at a piano and with one finger try to work out the Indiana Jones Theme or something like that. I could read music and knew the notes of the piano so I could play the melody of something I knew on guitar which I always enjoyed. A couple of times with my left I attempted a C chord, but that was about it... I never tried anything that involved more than two or three fingers and I certainly never tried anything that required the use of both hands. I did push down on the pedals a few times though to see what they did.

Then in August last year I happened to walk past a small music shop that sold keyboards. I walked in and checked out the prices, which turned out to be very affordable. I don't know why I'd never thought to do it earlier, but then and there I decided to buy a keyboard and start learning. I didn't buy it then because I was flying home to Australia (from Korea where I live) for a vacation a few days later, but when I arrived home one of the first things I did was visit a music store from my youth where I bought a few beginner piano books.

My 12-year-old nephew, who plays violin, French horn, and piano, gave me my first piano lesson at my sister's house in Sydney. And that's become a real cherished memory as I don't get to spend much time with him and every time I see him he's significantly older, taller and smarter.

I returned to Korea a few weeks later and bought a Yamaha keyboard my second day back, and there haven't been many days since then that I haven't played it at least for a few minutes. I've been happy with my progress, but my practice hasn't been as serious as it could have been. It's just such a simple joy to play something, no matter how simple. And I just love that moment when something that was hard suddenly becomes doable.

I took lessons for a about a month and wanted to continue, but I was too busy working and studying at the time I had to give them up. So mostly I've just been learning myself with the aid of sheet music and beginner music books.

One unexpected joy has been how much of a blast it is to get out my guitar and play around with those simple piano pieces. It's resulted in me examining pieces I would have otherwise never considered playing on guitar. And it's been interesting to explore a piece on the two very different instruments. It always leaves with a different (and I hope deeper) impression of the piece.

And then since my other main hobby is making videos I realized I could make videos of myself playing both instruments at the same time (with a little bit of editing magic of course). So I started making little videos of whatever I was working at the time and also videos of myself just practicing as a way to monitor my progress over time.

Last week was the first anniversary of my first piano video so I decided to mark the occasion by putting together a little montage showing my progress over the year. A couple of Bear's pieces show up in it and I just noticed the BSG book appears in a couple more sitting on the coffee table by my sofa that has been its home. Here it is if you're interested^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GACBsDbtht8

I'd love to try the simple version of Wander My Friends before the next year ends, but all those key changes scare me! I might just break it down into smaller manageable sections.

Thanks again Bear for your music. I've been working on Roslin and Adama for the last few months (you saw my horrible first video attempt) but I'm better now and I hope to try to do the piece a little more justice in the near future. It may still sux though, but if it does I'd like you to know that every second practicing it is not only a joy, but also a meditation, or about as close to meditating as I get. Time slows and everything else is forgotten except your beautiful music.

Oops, that turned out way longer than I had anticipated. Hope that wasn't too boring, but when I saw this thread I just had to post in it.

Thank you plainsong for starting it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

That was a great montage, Peter72! Thanks for posting it here. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:49 am 

I read through all these replies and thought I would add a reply... I've often found myself reading Bear's blog and taking inspiration -- seeing how little things are broken down (and built back up) has helped my compositional techniques.

Anywase, I've played piano forever it seems like (since I was 3, lessons since I was 4) and, while I wanted to play the cello when I was six, Santa got me a violin instead and I had 10 years of lessons on the violin. This helped me a lot as I'm able to get across exactly what I'm looking for from string players.

The one instrument I wish I had learned at a younger age (or that I had time to learn now) is the guitar. The idea of frets just confuses my brain -- and to me, chords make sense on a piano but not on a guitar!

I've also written a lot for woodwinds but not a lot for brass and have a good concept of how the winds work -- but brass players reading my music tend to look at me ascue. But so do percussion players for that matter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:12 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:
That was a great montage, Peter72! Thanks for posting it here. :)

Thanks Bear! And thanks for watching (hope it didn't take you away from anything too important)
I sat down last night and looked at your arrangement of Resurrection Hub for the first time.. the first page at least looks very doable. I think it would sound pretty cool as a guitar / piano duet.

bbbach, now that you mention it, I'd love to play the cello too. I can't see myself buying something so big though. And the idea of no frets confuses my brain^^ How do you know where to put your fingers???

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:14 pm 

*sigh* Everyone can play an instrument but me... I feel so inadequate.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next