It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:19 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: What instruments do we play or wish we played?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:34 am 

Sentynel wrote:
I can play Prelude pretty well myself now (and some of the other BSG pieces, especially Elegy and Battlestar Sonatica (which was the first I learnt, and got me back into playing the piano)), but I'm way too much a perfectionist to ever post a YouTube video of it. There's always just a couple of bits I want to improve...

I'm the same! That's partly why I feel the need to upload videos of the song I'm learning. If I don't, then I'll move on to another song before I've perfected the one I'm currently working on. Knowing that people will see me play it motivates me to keep practicing a piece until it sounds like I want it to sound. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:42 am 

Piano, first one I admit I started with. Also play Guitar, Harmonica, and drums. I have a violin I need to fix up but once I do I intend to learn how to play that. I wish I could play clarinet, Cello, trombone, and oh yeah, the accordion :D Actually I wouldn't mind toying around with various different instruments, but those ones just stick out the most to me.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:29 pm 

I pretty much just sing. I tried piano as a kid but it frustrates the hell out of me. I suck, and I mean SUCK at reading. I can't sight read worth shit and to this day I sometimes have to go back to FACE or Every Good Boy Does Fine just to figure out what everyone else is talking about. I could always hear what it should be in my head but get my fingers to either play it on the piano or whatever instrument I was trying at the time? Yeah no, not happening.

This was made even worse by the fact that everyone else in my family seemed to have no trouble with it whatsoever. >.<

So I gravitated pretty naturally to singing and choral music. I feel the what my note is supposed to be in the chord and make it happen. Damned if I know if it's a A or a B or that I'm in a 4th with the Tenors. I just know what it should feel like. I've always descried it as being in a 'grove'. ::shrug::

Half the reason I never finished music school. Sheet music just, never translates, piano class was hell on earth. I'm all thumbs...

So, I wish I could play maybe bass? Or hell, just a little bit of piano.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:05 pm 

I am more of a music editor...I wish I could play instruments. My favourite instrument is the cello though. I hear it plenty in Fringe! What a beautiful instrument! Drums are neat too. Bear's Taikos are awesome too!

Should have taken music in school. I do not understand sheet music whatsoever. I compose a bit on this little music studio on my iPod...but I can't even begin to think about sheet music. It is another language to me. Lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Grim wrote:
I'm the same! That's partly why I feel the need to upload videos of the song I'm learning. If I don't, then I'll move on to another song before I've perfected the one I'm currently working on. Knowing that people will see me play it motivates me to keep practicing a piece until it sounds like I want it to sound. :)

It's funny, I don't like to upload videos until I've got them down 110% perfect. But, it has been a real motivating factor for me to learn these piano pieces. It's fun making the videos and seeing what people think of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:18 am 

Bear McCreary wrote:

It's funny, I don't like to upload videos until I've got them down 110% perfect.

I always aim for 100%, but end up settling for 60% because cameras do to my playing what Kryptonite does for Superman.
I just read an interesting article on practice yesterday that identifies my illness:

Quote:
And here’s the biggie. We tend to practice unconsciously, and then end up trying to perform consciously – not a great formula for success. Recall from this article that you have a tendency to shift over into hyper-analytical left brain mode when you walk out on stage. Well, if you have done most of your practicing unconsciously, you really don’t know how to play your piece perfectly on demand.

http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/how- ... -practice/

I can definitely relate to that. A couple of months ago I gave a little guitar performance on the campus where I work and I totally forget the beginning of a song I've played hundreds of times. There were a few long seconds (which I don't think anyone noticed) where my mind was an absolute blank! It felt like an eternity. I remember staring down at my fingers thinking, "How could you do this to me!"

Anyway, I'm Australian, but I have two American nephews due to the defection of my brother so I made this for them....Happy 4th of July!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVYmFFNEMIw

What a great tune, it's my favorite national anthem although there must be dozens I haven't heard. Still it's a much better piece than the Australian national anthem which is set to a very dreary and depressing melody. I played it at school when I was a kid and I still haven't completely recovered. Back to Star-Spangled Banner... I was very surprised to learn it was written by an Englishman for some weird London men's-club society.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:17 am 

Peter72 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVYmFFNEMIw

What a great tune, it's my favorite national anthem although there must be dozens I haven't heard. Still it's a much better piece than the Australian national anthem which is set to a very dreary and depressing melody. I played it at school when I was a kid and I still haven't completely recovered. Back to Star-Spangled Banner... I was very surprised to learn it was written by an Englishman for some weird London men's-club society.

I reckon the Soviet Union national anthem is the best I've heard.

Ours is pretty dull. Personally, I think we should use I Vow To Thee My Country instead, which is a much better piece of music. The melody is from Holst's Jupiter, probably my favourite piece of classical music.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:45 am 

Pomp and Circumstance gets my vote for a new UK anthem!
Just listening to the French anthem now and that sounds like it would be fun to play.

And I guess it's still on topic, I saw a band last month in Houston that used a Roland Ax Synth. I feel in love! And then I googled it and saw this Steve Vai cover and fell even more in love!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scrwp5U6C70

I didn't have a chance to visit the big music building in Seoul until a few days ago (There's a whole huge building devoted just to instrument shops!) I knew I'd find one there and I was right! I'm hoping my new toy will motivate me to practice more. I'm just coming off a busy couple of months work wise and looking ahead to a lovely three-week vacation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOFh398ctqw

In other news, I'm working on the lovely piano solo at the end of War Horse in the "Remembering Ellie and Finale" track. It's my first attempt at a Williams composition and he's the reason I started learning to play piano a little over a year ago. It's coming along nicely.. a couple of bars are giving me grief, but less and less each week. It's an absolute joy to play. There are already a few videos on YouTube of people playing it, but none are wearing horse masks.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4