It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:46 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: What instruments do we play or wish we played?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:39 pm 

Hi everyone, I guess we're all new here so I thought I'd help get this party started.

Since we all share a love of music that is good, I figure there must be a fair few musicians here, along with those of us who wish we were musicians.

What do you play, how do you play it, and/or what do you wish you played?

I'll start with saying that I was mostly a clarinet player back in the day but then went on to major in voice. The voice is knackered now, but that doesn't stop me from causing pain with it! :) I met and fell in love with ukulele a few years ago, and haven't looked back.

I wish I could sightread with the instrument I actually play, but I have yet to sit down and learn scales. I also wish I could play piano, and I wish I could sing and play. Apparently it's too much like walking and chewing gum for my brain. :oops:

The styles I like to play are... anything that strikes my fancy really, and that I'm capable of, which isn't much.

Now it's your turn: What do you play, or wish you could play, and what would you play with it?

Post subject: Re: What instruments do we play or wish we played?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:46 pm 

Where to start.. The first instrument I picked up by choice was clarinet in 6th grade. Played for about 4 years before quitting (can still play, just don't enjoy it like I used to). Also played saxophone for a brief time in 7th grade.

After graduating HS, I picked up guitar and still play on occasion. Work has gotten in the way of that, unfortunately. Play some piano, but it's just chords, really.

Something I wish I could play? Cello. Have always loved the cello. If I hadn't had a $ limit when picking an instrument for middle school band, I'd have gone with cello.

Other instruments I've tried out: oboe, bass guitar, flute, trumpet. Oboe is extremely fun to play. Hated making reeds, though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, a couple clarinet players!

I think this one is easy. I wish I learned to play guitar or violin, when I was young. I started piano and got really good really fast. But, I never transferred that skill to anything else. So, instruments that are in the keyboard family are ones I can pick up pretty fast. Even something like the accordion or the hurdy gurdy, which is pretty different at first.

But, I never got used to my fingers touching an actual string. So, I really suck now at those instruments. And I've always envied how people who play violin and guitar on stage can move their bodies around, they're not stuck to a keyboard or piano bench.

I think that's why I gravitated towards the accordion. It allowed me to still play a keyboard, but move my body at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:56 pm 
Global moderator

That's a good point about the accordion, Bear.

I've been playing piano since I was 3 (though taking lessons since 2nd grade). I started playing classical percussion in 6th grade.

I've always been mostly a classically trained musician even when it comes to percussion, so I didn't even learn drum set until my senior year of college, but I'm very glad I did because it's come in very handy and helped make me more well rounded. I was "that kid" who listened to mostly classical music and movie/tv soundtracks in middle and high school.

I've lately been working on my rock percussion and keyboard chops and play in a rock-style church worship band, so now I do a little of everything. Believe it or not, having the classical background is a huge asset to the rock world.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:10 am 
Global moderator

Bear McCreary wrote:
Wow, a couple clarinet players!
And I've always envied how people who play violin and guitar on stage can move their bodies around, they're not stuck to a keyboard or piano bench.

best of both worlds :mrgreen:

I play... nothing :cry: I'm not very talented in everything music related. I can't sing, I can't dance and can't play anything.

If I could choose, I'd love to play the guitar. Second choose would be the piano.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:46 am 
Global moderator

I wouldn't call anything I do 'playing' an instrument. But as a child I played the piano (but my sister was much better at it, which worked demotivating for me and I quit).

The musical microbe hit me again when we had to play the recorder in high school and I found myself trying to find the notes to popular (and less popular tunes)...
Which led to me trying to play the transverse flute for some years, but that also didn't stick.

In the mean time my sister had mastered besides the piano also the folk guitar, and she would play and we would sing together.
Afterwards, I also learned how to play some chords and acompany myself when singing.

But I have figured out that what I love most is dance to music (be it ice dancing to soundtrack music or dancing Argentine tango, just let me move to the music, please).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:20 pm 

I’ve been playing the piano for almost 10 years now. Unfortunately due to a condition called dyspraxia (A learning difficulty in the same family as dyslexia and dyscalculia), I lack some of the fine motor control necessary to be what I’d consider to be a “good” player.

I can pick up the basics fairly easily but after a while I just can’t get any better, which kinda sucks ‘cause a lot of the music that I wanna play I just physically can’t make my hands work that way. It’s part of the reason that I got into composing, I’m allowed to write music harder than what I can actually play.

I also own a guitar, but I’m not very good. Partly because I don’t practice. But I can still bang out the chords of Wander My Friends on occasion. I own a tin-whistle, a fife and a home made PVC quena that I made for a university project a few years ago.

As for instruments I wish I could play, the Cello is waaaay up at the top of my list. I was about 8 the first time I heard Bach’s Cello suite no.1 in G major and I fell in love with the instrument. It has such a versatile range in terms of pitch, dynamics and tone. It can be quiet and reflective or harsh and aggressive or just about anything in between.

I’d also love to get my hands on a lot of the instruments used as ethnic soloists, like the duduk, erhu etc. Unfortunately, money is the major prohibiting factor in acquiring these instruments so I can start learning to play them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:47 pm 

I started on saxophone, but I haven't played that in a while. I play bass guitar and ukulele right now, and sing in choirs. I much prefer to perform as a part of a group; I find it so exhilarating! I can plod my way through on a keyboard as well, but I haven't practiced enough to be any good. I would really love to play the harmonium (one of the big ones, not the Indian kind like Bear's); I love the dynamic freedom, rare among keyboards.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:08 pm 

I wish I could play piano. I actually bought a keyboard recently so I could play with it and maybe learn something, but I haven't really had time to do more than peck out a few tunes by ear. (I have a toddler at home and she is into everything, so you can understand my lack of time!) I also can't read music. I played flute very, very briefly in elementary school, but I just didn't have the patience at the time to learn. I wish I had kept at it, though.
I cannot sing to save my life, though my husband disagrees. I think he only says that to make me feel better though. The only person who hears me sing these days is my dog and my daughter, and they don't mind if I am bad or off-key!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

jd2607 wrote:
I can pick up the basics fairly easily but after a while I just can’t get any better, which kinda sucks ‘cause a lot of the music that I wanna play I just physically can’t make my hands work that way. It’s part of the reason that I got into composing, I’m allowed to write music harder than what I can actually play.

That's a terrible thing to hear, that you can't get your muscles to play as well as you know you could. However, one of the most important things in composing is having the ability to write something that may be outside of your ability to play. So, it's great that you don't let your physical playing ability hinder you musical imagination.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next