It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 15   [ 144 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who I Am, Where I'm From!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Key Kevin and Evan! New forum folks' names rhyme :)

Santa Cruz is a beautiful area! And I promise I'll never say "The O.C." again...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:27 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:
...And I promise I'll never say "The O.C." again...

Haha...the writers of Arrested Development (first to make that request of the world), and the citizens of Orange County offer you our appreciation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 am 

Hello everyone.

My name is Jacob Seibel (also CowManJones). I'm from North Carolina and the first time I ever seriously listened to a score that wasn't Star Wars was when I watched Lost. Michael Giacchino is a very talented composer and I fell in love with the music he made for Lost. Then I watched Battlestar Galactica, which on it's own is phenomenal, and I found myself recognizing the leitmotifs as they cropped up. After the scene in which Gaius and Angel Six enter the opera house on Kobol I realized that I was in love with the music, so I started looking up music from the show. That led to my accidental discovery of Bear's version of All Along The Watchtower BEFORE I ever got to the Season 3 Finale, so I kind of had it spoiled for me what the "MUSIC IN THE FRAKKIN SHIP" was. But anyway, I'm getting off on a tangent.

Essentially, I fell in love with those songs. Then I started playing BSG Online, which uses Prelude to War, Something Dark Is Coming, and several other excellent pieces, which got me really into those. Now I don't think I can find any song from the BSG soundtrack that I DON'T like. I've even got some of my musical friends into the music from the show who have never even watched the show. I have the utmost respect for Bear.

I was wondering a few things about the process of writing the score. I'm sorry if this is already in a biography or something somewhere! When you (Bear) were writing the score, were you given a look at the filmed scenes before you composed for them? Did they ever reveal secrets to you so that you could establish musical cues that would later become relevant to huge reveals (besides the All Along The Watchtower one, which you must have had some idea about)? And about that All Along The Watchtower version, how did you go about writing that piece? It's amazing that it sounds nothing like the original and yet you can still hear the original coming from it. What were your influences in writing that piece? I'm also curious about the process of writing the score as a whole. Did you use a program to synthesize the music so you could perfect it before bringing musicians in?

Anyway, huge fan here. I hope to continue to hear your stuff on my other favorite shows (loving your work on The Walking Dead)!

Oh, and one last thing. Have you considered doing some East Coast shows with the BSG Orchestra? I would absolutely love to see these songs live! Or if you couldn't do that, have you considered allowing local orchestras to perform your scores?

Sorry for the super long post! I'm just excited that you actually reply to your fans on here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:34 pm 
Global moderator

Hi Jacob,

Welcome to the boards :).

You will see almost all of us are as crazy about the scores as you, so feel free to geek out as much as you want.

About your questions, I would like to point you to another part of this site.
If you go to the blog section and choose 'Battlestar Galactica', or just follow this link which gets you there directly http://www.bearmccreary.com/#?cat=1 you will find all things Bear ever wrote about BSG.
I would suggest moving back in time until you reach the first entry and start from there. Bear basically blogged about every episode from season 3 onwards, and you get a good idea of what the proces was like.

Have a lot of fun on these boards...

Elin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 pm 

Most excellent. I appreciate the direction!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

CowManJones wrote:
I was wondering a few things about the process of writing the score. I'm sorry if this is already in a biography or something somewhere! When you (Bear) were writing the score, were you given a look at the filmed scenes before you composed for them? Did they ever reveal secrets to you so that you could establish musical cues that would later become relevant to huge reveals (besides the All Along The Watchtower one, which you must have had some idea about)? And about that All Along The Watchtower version, how did you go about writing that piece? It's amazing that it sounds nothing like the original and yet you can still hear the original coming from it. What were your influences in writing that piece? I'm also curious about the process of writing the score as a whole. Did you use a program to synthesize the music so you could perfect it before bringing musicians in?

Hey Jacob! Welcome to the forum!

What you've asked here is a pretty big question :) I'd suggest going through my old blog entries. Check out the ones for "Crossroads, part II," "He That Believeth," "Revleations," "Someone to Watch Over Me" and "Daybreak" for starters. That should answer most of your questions!

As for the east coast, I'd love to do a show there. I'm hoping we can make it happen...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:04 pm 

Bear McCreary wrote:
What you've asked here is a pretty big question :) I'd suggest going through my old blog entries. Check out the ones for "Crossroads, part II," "He That Believeth," "Revleations," "Someone to Watch Over Me" and "Daybreak" for starters. That should answer most of your questions!

Thanks! I'm in the process of reading through all of your blog posts! When I got to the posts where you gave the sheet music for themes from BSG I decided to try and play them on my guitar, which actually prompted me to learn how to read sheet music! I'm still rusty and I don't understand accidentals yet, but I can play several of the themes! I've even transcribed them to guitar tabs, and, if it's not a problem to you, I'd like to upload the tabs to some tab websites for other fans!

Bear McCreary wrote:
As for the east coast, I'd love to do a show there. I'm hoping we can make it happen...

I would spend my whole video game budget to see this!

Thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:16 am 

Hey,

My name is Maleck and I live in Goulais River, Ontario, Canada. Currently in school for Law and Security Administration. Hobbies include music and video editing, story creation, and recently directing and producing machinema.

Instrumental music is the only kind of music that I listen too. My partner makes me listen to the regular hip-hop and party music of course, but instrumental beats regular any day. Bear's work with TSCC and BSG were the first scores that I began listening to years ago. They are what got me into loving the instrumental genre. I began using Bear's music to replace the music scores in the games I played, such as Command & Conquer and Halo. I also use his music in the machinema I am creating, Epsilon 5.

Mal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:24 pm 

Hi,

I'm Jared, I am a recent transplant to Memphis, TN. I've lived everywhere from Federal Way, WA to Wichita, KS. I studied vocal music at Southwest Baptist University and earned a degree in Vocal Performance. My brother makes a distinction between 'Vocalists,' and 'Musicians,' since he plays the trumpet and french horn and has a disdain for people who just sing and don't know how to read music. So when I moved to Arkansas (when I married my wonderful wife Jessica) I learned to play the banjo, just to spite him.

Currently I work at a very large company, doing Human Resourcey things.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:34 pm 
Global moderator

Hi Jared,

Welcome to the board. Have fun roaming around a bit, and contributing wherever you see fit.

Good to have you on board...

Elin

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 7 of 15   [ 144 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next