It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:02 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Dark Void Album
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

I will always remember this record as the one that first nudged me back toward the kind of orchestral writing I'd always loved, and quite frankly, I'm really suited for. The melody of this game is still one of the most beautiful things I've ever written.

My favorite tracks from this, especially now that I've had some distance from it, are the End Credits, Above the Canopy and the Main Theme. What about you guys?

Post subject: Re: Dark Void Album
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:42 am 

I have so many tracks that I love on the album:

The main theme, obviously. It’s got a sort of classic film score sound to it with the chromaticism of the melody and the Ondes Martenot which is pretty much the ultimate sci-fi sound. It’s romantic and heroic and tragic all at once. A beautifully malleable melody that I really don’t play enough.

My absolute favourite track on the album though, has to be Tesla’s Lab. It’s just so cool. I really wish it was much longer though. I just start to get my groove on and then it’s all over.

On the other hand, I love the Archon theme, but my favourite version of it doesn’t appear on the album. There’s a version played on a duduk (I played that Archon scene so many times I’ve heard every variation of the music for it) and so I’m kinda sad that that duduk statement of the theme never made it onto the album anywhere.

I also have something of a soft spot for Hieroglyphs and Betrayal when the Watchers’ theme is played on duduk and balalaika.

Post subject: Re: Dark Void Album
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

jd2607 wrote:
On the other hand, I love the Archon theme, but my favourite version of it doesn’t appear on the album. There’s a version played on a duduk (I played that Archon scene so many times I’ve heard every variation of the music for it) and so I’m kinda sad that that duduk statement of the theme never made it onto the album anywhere.

Yeah, sorry about that. Making albums from games is always a real challenge. In the case of Dark Void, I had 3 or 4 hours worth of stuff, and each track had multiple variations with multiple ethnic soloists. So, to make the album version I basically picked the sections, variations and soloists that I liked the best. I could honestly fill TWO more CDs with alternate versions of each track and still have music left over.

And SOCOM 4 had NINE hours of variations! Crazy!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]